Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White buildup at filter's air release valve

1. Back To Top    #1

White buildup at filter's air release valve

At the top of my Hayward filter, I'm starting to see some crusty white buildup. See attached pic. Is this indicative of any chemistry problem I should be paying attention to?

I've been living in this house for six years and haven't seen anything like that in six years.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley)
    15k gallon in-ground (IG) pool (I believe it's plaster)
    DE filter (Heyward), using cellulose instead of DE
    Jandy APURE1400 3-port salt cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White buildup at filter's air release valve

Could be scale. Use PoolMath to calculate your CSI and keep it between -0.3 and 0 to avoid scale. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Just FYI many can't won't or don't click out of the site to view pics. Myself included, I read hundreds of posts per day and it would significantly reduce the number of posts I could read and respond to. Photobucket allows you to copy IMG code and paste it in your post to embed the pic in the thread. I don't know if your photo host offers this feature.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

Imgur used to, but I didn't see that option today. Will try Photobucket in the future.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks,
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Helpful to identifying the buildup (it is probably calcium) would be to post a complete set of test results......do you test your pool water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. Tested this morning:

FC = 5
    pH = 7.4
    TA = 80
    Calcium = >400 (too high to get a meaningful reading, but very high)
    CYA = 60

I just plugged that into PoolMath. Assuming I used it right (which is a big if), my CSI is -0.13.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Well, that Calcium is probably the culprit. At some point in time, your pH has probably also been a bit high but high CH alone is enough to account for what you are seeing.

A solution of muriatic acid mixed with water (3water - 1 muriatic) will clean it off.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, will do!

My pH constantly drifts upwards. I put muriatic acid in the pool usually 3x a week to keep it within range. It has definitely gone above 8.0 occasionally if I miss a few days.

9. Back To Top    #9

That is what is contributing to the scaling. Keep adding acid to lower PH when it gets to 7.8 or 8.0. This will lower your TA over time. Once your TA gets down toward 60 or 50 the PH rise should slow down. You need to get an accurate result on your CH to get a good CSI number. More here on testing it, Pool School - Calcium Hardness

Also, if you have waterfalls or water features run them less, the aeration also raises PH.
    TFP Moderator