Newbie -- Just tested for the first time

Last night after dark:

FC 12.5
CYA 30

This morning before sun hit pool

FC 12.5
CYA actually creeped up a bit, just past the line above 30

Water is clear (it's been very clear, that was never an issue)

Seems like I'm done with SLAM at this point

Again...I'm new to all this so a couple of questions as I move forward with this new process:

If my CYA stays at 30, my goal for FC should be approx. 4, correct?

Should I expect the CYA to remain pretty constant for a while now that I have it where it needs to be? (assuming no heavy rain?)

At what level of FC is it okay to swim? In other words, as I allow mine to drift down from 12.5, when can I let my kids to swim?

Once I get the FC level to my goal (again, I'm thinking 4), I'll maintain daily with bleach....BUT, what if I need to leave town for 7 days? Should I raise the number to a very high number and let it drop while I'm gone (again, how high is safe in case other people want to swim while I'm gone), or should I let my wife add some sort of shock periodically while I'm out of town (don't want her to have to mess with bleach)? What do you guys do if you are leaving for an extended period of time in two different scenarios (one, when no one will be swimming while you are gone....and the other, when people want to swim while you are gone).

Sorry for the rambling questions. I'm very excited to be adopting the TFP Method!

Thanks in advance for answers and comments on the above...

Congrats on passing the OCLT! SLAM is done! :whoot: Yes, you can let the FC drop on its own (won't take long) and swim as long as the FC is lower than your SLAM of 12. The CYA will stay pretty-much where you have it now unless you add more stabilizer. If your pool gets full sun in this summer heat, you might find yourself increasing CYA a little to save on FC reduction each day. But you can watch that and go from there later.

If you leave town for a few days, generally we advise to bump-up FC to SLAM level and perhaps toss a floater with a puck or two in it. If you have a pool cover that works even better. Or, if you have a trusty friend/neighbor who can add bleach each night that works too.

With your CYA of 30, definitely keep FC in that 4-5 range and never below 2. In our heat, I'd never go below 3 if I were you. And if you do increase the CYA later (which I suspect you will), remember to check the Chlorine/CYA Chart and increase your FC targets accordingly.

Have a nice weekend.

Texas Splash,

First of all, thank you.

Next...you mention the floater while out of town. I do have an in-line chlorinator as well (not currently using it at all). Would putting a few pucks in there while out of town be just as good, or is there some reason a floater direct into pool is better?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.