Newbie -- Just tested for the first time

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
Okay...just tested for the first time using TF-100 test kit and a speed stir. First, my kids thought it was cool, so that was a plus.

Here's what I came up with:

FC = 3.5
CC = 0.5
TA = 90
CH = 450
CYA = ????????

CH is high, not sure what I should do here, if anything.

My bigger concern is the CYA. I used the test where you drop into the tube until you can no longer see the black dot at the bottom...the problem is that even as the tube overflowed, I could still see the dot. That means my CYA was well below 20 (probably zero). I had my water tested at Leslie Pools a few days ago and they showed a CYA of ZERO. They sold me some "conditioner" and I dumped in a gallon of it in a few days ago. I paid about $30 for it.

As I mentioned...I'm new to this. This explains why my pool won't "hold" any chlorine and I've gotten some algae this Summer.

How should I fix this CYA? And do I need to worry about the CH?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy! Welcome to TFP :handwave:

Did you do a pH test?

Was the CYA the pool store sold you liquid or granules? Do you know what level of CYA you were striving for? If it was liquid stabilizer it would only have brought you up to aprox 18ppm....far too low still. Add another gallon. If it was granular how did you add it and how much?

Your CH is topped out. Don't add any more or anything that contains calcium.

Yip :flower:

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It will explain that CYA, stabilizer and conditioner are all the same thing. You need it in your pool and the ABC's article will tell you why.

Okay...answers to replies so far (and thank you all for replies):

My pH was a bit low at around 7.0, but I added a gallon of acid yesterday because it was previously at 8.0 and the pool store told me to add a gallon.

I added a gallon of liquid conditioner a few days ago. Here's my next question:

Obviously I've got to increase the CYA --- should I go with more liquid from Leslie's or is there a better option? I'm shooting to get it to 40 from what I've read on this site. Once I get it to 40 is it likely to stay at that level for a while if I have everything else where it should be?

Thanks again! I'm excited to be adopting the TFP method!

Hi Cody! :wave: Let me follow-up to try and help you on a couple things:
- CYA... be careful. You seemed to be low at one point, just make sure you don't go too high. :hammer: If you still have algae and are preparing to SLAM, then you only want to increase CYA to "30" - for now. One gallon of liquid should've increased your CYA to about 19, so you need another 10 or so. You can use regular "granule" stabilizer from Walmart - much cheaper.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

The pH at 7.0 is fine for now and should increase soon enough on its own. Your big concern right now has to be retaining FC. So if you are going into "SLAM mode", make sure to add that stabilizer for a target of 30, then increase FC to "12" and keep it there until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Regular HEB Bravo or Walmart Great Value/Pool Essentials will work. Read the SLAM page (link below) to ensure you're doing everything properly. When your water is clear and you see no more evidence of algae, the final step is conducting the overnight (OCLT) test. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

If you have any other details about your water of questions we can help with, let us know.

I'll add stabilizer and shoot for a target of 30.

I do have some algae (I guess it's algae although the Leslie's guy says it could be pollen) on the walls in the spa that brushes right off. Should I assume I need to SLAM?

About to add 1 gallon of Instant Conditioner, but I think I should add a second gallon as well. Dude at Leslies says to add one gallon but bottle says it raises 32ppm per 10,000 gallons. Mine is ZERO so I feel like I should add two gallons. Thoughts? Should I space the two gallons out?

Also, bought Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid (just bleach, right?) at Wal Mart. 3.64 per gallon at 10% strength. I'll be using that to SLAM once I get CYA to my target of 30.

On the right track here?

This morning you added 1 gallon of conditioner already correct? That brings your CYA to about 18-19. So now you would need to add only about a 1/2 gallon to achieve a CYA of 30. Yes, the Wal-Mart Pool Essentials is fine (10% strength).

But from now on, just use the Poolmath calculator to make your decisions. If you listen to the pool store's advice, you'll shoot yourself in the foot. If you have a question on the calculator, ask us. We'll walk you through it. That calculator is one of your best tools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Added about 1.67 gallons of conditioner per Pool Math. Should get CYA to 30. Did this about 30 minutes ago.

Now, just added 2 gallons of 10% bleach to get FC from 2 to 12, again per Pool Math.

On way out door for appointment. What time today should I test again to see if I've achieved the FC of 12 and CYA of 30?

Okay..just tested

FC 7.5
CC zero
CYA is about 25

Before I do next step, want to run it by you guys....I'm thinking I'll add 34 oz of stabilizer to continue to work to get CYA to 30

I'll also add 115 oz of 10% bleach to get from 7.5 to 12 FC.

That's it at this point, correct?

Okay..just tested

FC 7.5
CC zero
CYA is about 25

Before I do next step, want to run it by you guys....I'm thinking I'll add 34 oz of stabilizer to continue to work to get CYA to 30

I'll also add 115 oz of 10% bleach to get from 7.5 to 12 FC.

That's it at this point, correct?

The CYA measurement is not linear, but logarithmic. Therefore if the line is between 20 and 30, it's not 25 but closer to 30. I wouldn't add anymore Conditioner. Plus, usually takes a day or so for it to fully dissolve and measure, assuming you're still using liquid form. For future, if you use granular form, it may take a week to measure, so we always just assume it's in there and balance our FC as if it were.

Yes, continue to add bleach to get to 12 FC for 30 CYA. If you know you're not going to be able to attend to pool every few hours to begin, then I would shoot for 14 or 15 FC. The point is, you don't want your FC to drop below 12 until you pass OCLT. So better to shoot high, and let it drift down to 12, instead of 12 and drift down to 9 before you get back to it. In the two years I've owned my pool I've had to slam twice due to flooding and mudslides into the pool. By keeping my FC elevated above 12, it made the slam go quicker, as everytime you drop below 12, algae can multiply, and they multiply exponentially, so even an hour or two of below SLAM can set you back.

Okay...got it. Just added more bleach to work toward 12 (or slightly higher than 12). Will test again in 1-2 hours and report back. Also brushed the pool....still a little algae in crevices and corners of hot tub. Do I need to get in there and brush with a really small brush or will the high levels of FC get it for me?

Okay...got it. Just added more bleach to work toward 12 (or slightly higher than 12). Will test again in 1-2 hours and report back. Also brushed the pool....still a little algae in crevices and corners of hot tub. Do I need to get in there and brush with a really small brush or will the high levels of FC get it for me?

Algae has a protective slime barrier on it, so the more you can brush it and disturb it, the more the chlorine is able to attack through the barrier. Especially check in the crevices of ladders and lights, a favorite hiding place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.