Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Siphon won't start

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Siphon won't start

Just opened the pool last week, got the water balanced, turned on my SWG, and then went to turn on my Heat Siphon heat pump and it wouldn't start. I got it last year and it worked great all last summer. I called the company and the woman told me it's most likely either electrical connection or water flow. All the circuits are on, so I assume it must be insufficient flow? The pressure gauge on my DE filter tank is currently reading 12, which is pretty normal. Figuring that maybe it was a little high, I backflushed and added new DE and the reading went down to 10psi, but the heater still wouldn't kick on.

The next step is a service call, unless someone on here has something else I could try. Again, the heat pump is only one year old and worked great all of last summer. Thanks!
    15,000 gallon in-ground, vinyl; PacFab Nautilus INS48 D.E. filter, Goldline Aqua Rite XL SWG, Heat Siphon SX5.0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Siphon won't start

You're getting no display at all? Double check the power to it at the unit itself. The electricity probably makes a couple of stops along the way so the only way to be sure is to use a volt meter and test it.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the analog model - no display. The only available part to tinker with is the thermostat knob. That's it. No other switches or anything. I highly doubt it's the electric hookup since nothing changed from last summer except turning the circuit breakers off and then back on again.
    15,000 gallon in-ground, vinyl; PacFab Nautilus INS48 D.E. filter, Goldline Aqua Rite XL SWG, Heat Siphon SX5.0

4. Back To Top    #4

I have exact same problem. Did you solve?
    21 foot round above ground, 1200 gallons, 1 HP pump, 15 inch Hayward sand filter then a cart filter, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes - it took a while for the repairman to come out, but it turned out that there was a small freon leak, which I guess was there all last summer, but caused the freon to completely leak out over the winter.

The pipe was patched, more freon added, and this morning, the pool is 82 degrees, so all is well.