Skimmer pipe collapsed

Hello.
Today I got a photo -which I am sharing- of a skimmer pipe with a crack, looks like the pipe was under suction, nobody knows how it happened.
I would appreciate if someone have seen something like this and what might cause it.
Thanks, Joaquin

Attachments

• IMG_20160719_152553.jpg
    IMG_20160719_152553.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 75
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Are trichlor tablets routinely placed in the skimmer basket for chlorination? To me, it looks typical of a skimmer that has been exposed to trichlor pucks for a long period of time. Putting trichlor pucks in the skimmer basket creates an acidic and high chlorine bath that your skimmer parts are constantly soaking in. Over time, this weakens the plastic eventually causing it to fail by cracking and leaking.

Check out these images related to the use of trichlor pucks in skimmers and the damage that can be caused. Vinyl Pools, Pool Liners, Pool Service, Pool Renovations in Bucks County and Montgomery County | APCO Pools Specialties, Inc. - Part 2

Hello.

I did not see any deck settling however I am wondering if the pipe was damaged by chlorine pucks as you suggested would closing the flapper valve or sealing the entrance of the skimmer while the pump is running caused the pipe to collapse?

Thanks, Joaco

No, that pipe is very strong and the pressure and suction produced by a pool pump isn't going to damage it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.