Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer pipe collapsed

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer pipe collapsed

Hello.
    Today I got a photo -which I am sharing- of a skimmer pipe with a crack, looks like the pipe was under suction, nobody knows how it happened.
    I would appreciate if someone have seen something like this and what might cause it.
    Thanks, Joaquin
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer pipe collapsed

Welcome to TFP!

Are trichlor tablets routinely placed in the skimmer basket for chlorination? To me, it looks typical of a skimmer that has been exposed to trichlor pucks for a long period of time. Putting trichlor pucks in the skimmer basket creates an acidic and high chlorine bath that your skimmer parts are constantly soaking in. Over time, this weakens the plastic eventually causing it to fail by cracking and leaking.

Check out these images related to the use of trichlor pucks in skimmers and the damage that can be caused. Vinyl Pools, Pool Liners, Pool Service, Pool Renovations in Bucks County and Montgomery County | APCO Pools Specialties, Inc. - Part 2
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Though chemicals could be responsible, my first impression is that the deck has settled causing the pipe to distort.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello.

I did not see any deck settling however I am wondering if the pipe was damaged by chlorine pucks as you suggested would closing the flapper valve or sealing the entrance of the skimmer while the pump is running caused the pipe to collapse?

Thanks, Joaco

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by joacofab View Post
    Hello.

I did not see any deck settling however I am wondering if the pipe was damaged by chlorine pucks as you suggested would closing the flapper valve or sealing the entrance of the skimmer while the pump is running caused the pipe to collapse?

Thanks, Joaco
    No, that pipe is very strong and the pressure and suction produced by a pool pump isn't going to damage it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks... I am going to investigate if chlorine pucks were put in the skimmer basket. Have a great day.