Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: That good old pool store.

1. Back To Top    #1

That good old pool store.

So I stopped by the local pool store to get some magic lube as its petty cheap there. I gave them my water sample just for the heck of it. They use they major computer brand to measure chemistry levels. I have balanced the heck out of the water with the Taylor k2006. I know that my hardness is 170. They said it was 161 which I thought was pretty close. The guy grabs for a tub of calcium. I said what are you doing? He said put 17 lbs in. I said I have a liner it does not matter. He said oh yea it matters even more. It will schrink and crack if you don't put this in. I lied and said I don't have enough cash on me I will come back. He said ok but don't neglect it. I said ok I won't. It's bad enough that I sometimes have to shock my pool powder shock (I have some left over from while back) which adds hardness anyway. Can you imagine 17 lbs of calcium? That would bring it to like 1000 or more. These people are killing me at the pool store. They don't know how many people they are hurting.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: The reason I shock the pool sometimes is if my cc goes over 0.5 ppms after a bad storm or if I have a party but that's very rare. Shocking with 2.5 gal of liquid chlorine is $15 vs shocking with 3 bags is $7.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: That good old pool store.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

FYI, use PoolMath ... 17 pounds in your pool would only add 96ppm of CH.

Seems like your liquid chlorine is way over priced.
    3 Gallons of 10% at Walmart was going for $7.50.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

3 gallons of 12% Clorox @ Costco for $9.95.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Why and when do you have to "shock" your pool?

6. Back To Top    #6

Well a couple weeks ago my pool pump died and I kept adding chlorine and stirring it in for about 3 days until got a new pump. The pool got cloudy and then I "shocked" it with 2.5 gallons of cliquid chlorine because I had 1.5 ppm of combined chlorine. Now I have 0 ppm of cc. Is that ok? Did I do something wrong?
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

7. Back To Top    #7

No, you didn't do anything "wrong"! We just don't usually shock on TFP. We will do an OCLT to see if we have issues and we "slam" if need be.

Zero to 0.5 CC is perfect! Why don't you post a full list of current test results if you want some input.