Proper installation of granite spillover

Jul 20, 2016
Winter Springs
[FONT=&quot]I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about pool construction can give me some advice.

A local granite company installed a spillover between my spa and pool, they secured it down with silicone. As soon as the pool was filled, we noticed water leaking out of the tiles just below the spillover, a crack formed in the granite, and it is 'floating' on one side (you can push on it and it moves up and down about 1/8 inch.

The granite company says its not their fault, they always install it that way and never have a problem. They blame the pool company for not making a level surface, and say its not their job to make sure the surface is level. My pool company says you always install granite spillovers with thin-set.

Can anyone shed light on what the proper way to install a granite spillover is?

Also, the granite company put a lip on both the pool side AND the spa side of the spillover, and my pool company says you should not have a lip on the spa side because it disrupts the water flow and increases the chances of the water intruding below the granite slab - does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide feedback![/FONT]

Welcome to TFP!

Photos always hep in situations like this.

But, I guess my first question is - was the spillover part of the pool build and the pool contractor subbed it to this company, or you contracted with them directly for some reason?

Thank you Tim!

Here is the inside lip (spa side):
IMG_1533.jpg

Here is the outside lip (pool side):
IMG_1534.jpg

We contracted them directly because the pool company that resurfaced the pool doesn't do granite spillovers, but they suggested that would probably look best. We also had to contract directly with an electrician to do the lights because they didn't have an electrician license, which was another debacle. Biggest lesson learned in all of this - pick a pool company that can be responsible for all the work! :(

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It sure sounds to me like the spill over was installed incorrectly, but honestly I am not sure I have seen a setup like this on the forum before.

Because you have two contractors, they are going to continue to point the finger at each other and I do not think TFP can help you with that.

This just in - the Granite company agreed to replace the piece. When they pulled the old on off, look at the silicone that was supposed to seal and hold the granite in place:

silicone_granite.jpg

It's not even as thick as toothpaste. I think my question is answered - DO NOT install a granite spillover with silicone, it should be secured with thin-set!

Silicone is not sufficient. The installer of the finish grade product should make sure that the subgrade construction is proper before installing their product. If they think that it is not right, they should address the issue before installing the final product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.