New pump- can I vacuum to waste with it alone?

Dec 1, 2015
Eliot, ME
We just ordered a new pump and filter and if you've read my previous posts we are in the process of removing the old equipment that was plumbed into our basement and putting the new equipment outside by our pool. The pool has A LOT of algae on the bottom (I have skimmed POUNDS of it off the top when the blooms rise up). We have a lot of work to do with the pipes, cutting, refitting, and finishing the platform before we can have everything fully set up.

Im VERY anxious/excited to start cleaning the junk from the pool and I would love to hook my vacuum to the pump somehow and use a waste line attached to the pump output and start cleaning it (I've seen something similar as a "portable" cleaning system.

Is this possible to do or am I wasting my time thinking about it? Could I harm the pump by doing this? I've tried a sump pump with two garden hoses but it just didn't have the power to make a difference and would clog up.

Also- since removing so many algae blooms I've been able to see the bottom of the pool and in the middle of the pool on the floor we noticed what looks like a PVC pipe sticking up about 5-6". Is this the main drain? I thought those were usually flush to the floor with a filter over it.

I don't know what that pipe is. Not the drain, you are right about that. No, can't vac directly with the pump. Vac to waste is done through the filter multi port valve on some filters.

Your best two options are a leaf rake and a trash pump from Lowes/home depot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.