brownish dust - guano?

Jul 20, 2016
Robbinsville
Hello,
I have been dealing with the same problem, and since we have pine tress around the pool, I thought it could be dust or dirt coming from them. However, I just spoke to someone at my local pool store and they told me most likely it is guano, that there are bats in those tress, but to me it still looks more like dust or sand. I had the sand replaced, vacuum every day, and after a two or three hours the brown spots are back! I have to say though, after changing the sand in the filter and treating the water properly, it looks much better, but still dealing with brown spots. Had any of you heard about guano in the pool?

Most importantly, do you have recent test results, from a recommended test kit? Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Guano is low on the list of possibilities. Bat guano typically dries in solid masses on the ground or on a surface and will only become dust/airborne if it is intentionally disturbed. I think pinning dust on the bottom of the pool on guano is just another typical load of guano from pool store advice.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I have light brown very fine dirt build up in my pool on a daily basis. I notice it mostly because it collects in the seams of the vinyl liner. I live in a fairly rural area, so I'm pretty certain mine is just from dust in the air. It reminds me of silt in a river. My guess is that's what you've got also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.