Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Secondary water

1. Back To Top    #1

Secondary water

Here in Utah, most sprinklers are run off of secondary water...
    Was wondering if the TFP method has ever been tested on something like that? I see it can beat well water but is it up to the task of nasty 2ndary? Wish I still had my old easy set to try it out...
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Secondary water

If you're talking about non-potable gray water supplies (around here, the control boxes are bright purple for all gray water systems), then I don't think that is a good idea. The water is essentially minimally treated (settled solids and sand filtration, little pH adjustment and only UV sanitation at best, no chlorine) and would be dangerous to use in a pool. The chlorine demand would be huge and you'd essentially be swimming in other's people waste water (not sewage technically, but still waste water). An example of it would be to simply collect old bath water in a bucket and let it sit around for a day or two, that's essentially what you would be putting into your pool....yuck
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I assume secondary water is the equivalent of "gray water", water going down any drain that doesn't involve human waste. My answer would be that you could but it won't make sense from a financial perspective. The water will contain soap, oil, food particles, etc that will need to be broken down with chlorine so your FC demand will rise considerably.

As a thought experiment, yes I imagine it is quite possible. From a real world perspective the additional chemicals and labor needed would really offset any savings or good feelings from using it. Still though, we always enjoy reading about someone trying ideas such as that, so if you do please post up a daily journal detailing it.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

It comes from our local lake that accumulates from snow run off.. Boaters and what-not use the lake... There are no control boxes on my property and I think its basically just piped in somehow... I know its prolly minimally filtered at the pumping station but is "good enuf" to water gardens and such. The overflow runs down a river that people fish and tube in...Maybe Ill fill up a bucket, do some prelim testing and some pool math along with it to see if its even feasable
    13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cj3737 View Post
    It comes from our local lake that accumulates from snow run off.. Boaters and what-not use the lake... There are no control boxes on my property and I think its basically just piped in somehow... I know its prolly minimally filtered at the pumping station but is "good enuf" to water gardens and such. The overflow runs down a river that people fish and tube in...Maybe Ill fill up a bucket, do some prelim testing and some pool math along with it to see if its even feasable
    Ah. Ok. You can probably use it but it definitely needs chlorination as it could easily be an algae source.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The reclaimed water around here is cleaner and held to a higher standard than our drinking water.

My neighbor works at the facility that processes this water and ends every tour by dipping a glass in the water and drinking it.

Other than having all of his teeth missing and glowing in the dark, he seems perfectly fine.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

13500 gal
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir