T cell saying low salt and showing water is 130 degrees

Jul 20, 2016
Odenville
So I drained and cleaned my pool and refilled it will what I thought was the right amount of salt. But my tcell said it was 5800 ppm. Everything else I tested the water with said it was 3000 pm. Only the tcell was saying it was that high. So I reduced the salt until my tcell said 3000pm. Everything was good for like 2 weeks and now it's saying the salt level is at 2000ppm and the water temp is 130 degrees. I checked the cell and pretty clean. There's a very small amount of build up on the bottom outside plates but that's it. Nowhere else. I'm gonna clean the cell just to make sure. Should I add more salt or what? Thanks for any help

I'll take any advice people wanna give. Please and thanks
UPDATE I added salt and now it's reading 3100ppm but it's still saying the cell temp is 130 and shutting off. What do I do? Someone please help me. My post has 50 views and not one person has said anything. I'm begging. Please someone tell me what they would do in my shoes. Pretty please. Help. Please please please. Someone help

What that means is people are reading your thread and don't know what the answer is. While you are waiting for someone to read your thread who might know what the answer is why not put your pool info in your signature so that we can better help you. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Also, adding your state to your location could prove helpful.

More than likely there is a short in the temperature sensor of the SWG cell. It reads high when there is a short and low when it is a open. It is one of the failures that can happen with that cell. How old is the cell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you need to check the thermistor, here is the plug map:

Holding the plug vertically with the cord going down and looking at the connection points. 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is second down left and so on with 9 being lower left and 10 being lower right.

1) Black - Power to cell
2) White - Power to cell
3) Black - Power to cell
4) White - Power to cell
5) Brown - Not used
6) Red - Goes to thermistor
7) Orange - Not used
8) Yellow - Not used
9) Green - Not used
10) Blue - Goes to thermistor

The display will show cold at 50 Fahrenheit which corresponds to a resistance of about 19,900 ohms. If you put your multimeter test leads on points 6 and 10, the resistance should correspond to the thermistor's temperature as shown in a 10 k thermistor chart.

50 f = 19,900 ohms
60 f = 15,310 ohms
70 f = 11,882 ohms
77 f = 10,000 ohms (the 10k reference point)
80 f = 9,297 ohms
90 f = 7,333 ohms
100 f = 5,827 ohms
110 f = 4,664 ohms
120 f = 3,758 ohms
130 f = 3,049 ohms

Note that each 10 k thermistor has its own specific chart, so the numbers won't be exact unless you have the chart for the specific thermistor.

If the thermistor is bad, then the salt reading will be off. Check the thermistor reading with a good ohmmeter.

You can tell the age of the cell by the first 4 of the cell serial number. For example, a serial number starting with 3E13 would have a 3 year warranty, E means cell and 13 means the cell was manufactured in 2013.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.