Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: T cell saying low salt and showing water is 130 degrees

1. Back To Top    #1

T cell saying low salt and showing water is 130 degrees

So I drained and cleaned my pool and refilled it will what I thought was the right amount of salt. But my tcell said it was 5800 ppm. Everything else I tested the water with said it was 3000 pm. Only the tcell was saying it was that high. So I reduced the salt until my tcell said 3000pm. Everything was good for like 2 weeks and now it's saying the salt level is at 2000ppm and the water temp is 130 degrees. I checked the cell and pretty clean. There's a very small amount of build up on the bottom outside plates but that's it. Nowhere else. I'm gonna clean the cell just to make sure. Should I add more salt or what? Thanks for any help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: T cell saying low salt and showing water is 130 degrees

Did you recalibrate the SWG after draining?
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

No I did not. Im new to pools. What's swg and how do u recalibrate it? I have an Aqua plus setup by hayward

4. Back To Top    #4

When I turned the pump on before I added salt the cell was saying 0000 ppm. After that I added salt it said 6000ppm. I got it down to 3100 and then set the instant salt level at 3100

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll take any advice people wanna give. Please and thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by greenday572001 View Post
    I'll take any advice people wanna give. Please and thanks
    UPDATE I added salt and now it's reading 3100ppm but it's still saying the cell temp is 130 and shutting off. What do I do? Someone please help me. My post has 50 views and not one person has said anything. I'm begging. Please someone tell me what they would do in my shoes. Pretty please. Help. Please please please. Someone help

7. Back To Top    #7

What that means is people are reading your thread and don't know what the answer is. While you are waiting for someone to read your thread who might know what the answer is why not put your pool info in your signature so that we can better help you. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Also, adding your state to your location could prove helpful.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

12K gal, Vinyl AGP, 1.5 HP Waterway pump, 26" Ecokleer Sand filter, Hayward Aquatrol SWG, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir, Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit, Dirt Devil D2500 Pool Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

More than likely there is a short in the temperature sensor of the SWG cell. It reads high when there is a short and low when it is a open. It is one of the failures that can happen with that cell. How old is the cell?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

I just moved in so I'm not sure how old the cell is if I had to guess by looking at it I would say not that old.
    40x20 inground salt water pool
    20,000 gallons
    Hayward aqua plus system
    Hayward sand filter
    25 tcell

11. Back To Top    #11

You can take it to some pool stores and they can test it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

If you need to check the thermistor, here is the plug map:

Holding the plug vertically with the cord going down and looking at the connection points. 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is second down left and so on with 9 being lower left and 10 being lower right.

1) Black - Power to cell
    2) White - Power to cell
    3) Black - Power to cell
    4) White - Power to cell
    5) Brown - Not used
    6) Red - Goes to thermistor
    7) Orange - Not used
    8) Yellow - Not used
    9) Green - Not used
    10) Blue - Goes to thermistor

The display will show cold at 50 Fahrenheit which corresponds to a resistance of about 19,900 ohms. If you put your multimeter test leads on points 6 and 10, the resistance should correspond to the thermistor's temperature as shown in a 10 k thermistor chart.

50 f = 19,900 ohms
    60 f = 15,310 ohms
    70 f = 11,882 ohms
    77 f = 10,000 ohms (the 10k reference point)
    80 f = 9,297 ohms
    90 f = 7,333 ohms
    100 f = 5,827 ohms
    110 f = 4,664 ohms
    120 f = 3,758 ohms
    130 f = 3,049 ohms

Note that each 10 k thermistor has its own specific chart, so the numbers won't be exact unless you have the chart for the specific thermistor.

If the thermistor is bad, then the salt reading will be off. Check the thermistor reading with a good ohmmeter.

You can tell the age of the cell by the first 4 of the cell serial number. For example, a serial number starting with 3E13 would have a 3 year warranty, E means cell and 13 means the cell was manufactured in 2013.