Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach in UK?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach in UK?

Hi,

I run my hot tub each year and drain / refill every 1-2 months as use dichlor granules and pucks.

However, we have now had water meters fitted and doing this is going to get expensive(!) and so am looking to get a baseload of CYA in the water through granules / pucks and then go to just adding bleach to keep up with the chlorine needs of the water which should allow me to change the water less often.

Standard bleach from stores in the UK is about 1.5% but a local cleaning supplies store has Chlor 5 which is 5% and a gallon is about 3 ($4 USD).

I can't find a list of any other ingredients / perfumes so guessing it will be OK.

Anyone used this or suggest any other alternatives in the UK?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach in UK?

Many spa owners follow this procedure and find that they can keep their hot tubs going for a lot longer -

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

Also, check out Ahh-some for cleaning out biofilms and making spa plumbing new again - Ahh-Some Water Cleanser for Your Pool, Hut Tub, Jet Bath, Swim Spa and Washing Machine -
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks,

I'll get some bleach tomorrow to start.

Probably need to get the TA down a bit as well so that's a job for the weekend to work on.

Current figures are:

pH: 7.6
    FC: 8
    TA: 120
    CYA: 40
    CH: 120-130

So, plan is to get the TA down a little bit and add some Borate (Guess this will be an online order!)

The CYA is currently higher than recommended on the post but, AIUI, I can just shoot for a slightly higher FC so long as I don't add any more CYA now until next drain when I'll keep a little lower.

I'll be sure to post if anything goes wrong!

Lastly, I'm currently running at a lower than usual temperature (about 29C) as it's been really hot out and the tub being cooler is nice and refreshing - will this mean things need to be too different?

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you get a borate product in the UK? Even with the Brexit and all, I believe the EU restricted sales of borate chemicals (borax and boric acid) from retail use. If you can get, good for you.

Lower temps should be fine. Your chlorine loss rate will likely be lower.

Good luck and do consider Ahh-some for your next fill. You can use the old water to run the Ahh-some plumbing purge, dump the ensuing muck-water and then refill fresh. Clean pipes = clean tub = less chlorine demand.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates