Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Daily evaporation vs CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Daily evaporation vs CYA

Does CYA evaporate with the water? When topping off the water level, should we be adding CYA as well? A bit of research has me confused, some threads ive come across say that CYA doesnt go down with evaporation, and some say to add CYA since you are adding pure water.
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Daily evaporation vs CYA

No. CYA is consumed at a very small rate seasonally (2-3ppm), but in general can only be reduced by physically removing water from the pool and putting in fresh water that has no CYA.

Since evaporation "purifies" the water that is leaving the pool as a vapor, the CYA originally in the evaporating water remains in the pool.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

and some say to add CYA since you are adding pure water.
    Where are those threads? Are they in this website?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Where are those threads? Are they in this website?
    I would like to know that as well. Any thread on this site stating that CYA evaporates would quickly be followed by several responses correcting that information.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

It was a quick google search, but i think there was one from here that came up. But then again, the one from here could have been the one saying CYA amount does not go down with evaporation. This was in the past few days and cannot recall precisely
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

6. Back To Top    #6

Me too I went from 40 ppm CYA to 20 in just over a month.i used liquid conditioner which was some kind on mono something or another cyanuric something or another...but not 100% CYA. Is that why it dissipated?