Non-standard Weir Blade

AaronJ

Jul 20, 2016
Encino, CA
Hi all. I'm a brand new pool owner as of a month ago, and this website has been amazing.

My pool was built in the 80s, and the skimmer is not any sort of plastic prefabricated thing. A photo is attached, it was just poured in the shape of a square. the opening is 7" wide and 8.5" tall. A photo of the opening is here: Link

There is a bolted piece of plastic with a center hinge, and once upon a time I'm sure a blade was attached to it. I've taken these dimensions and photo to my local pool shop, and they say they've never seen something like this. I tried searching on amazon and google, but I can't find blades of the dimensions I need. It's also next to impossible to find center-hinged blades.

I'm hoping someone here can guide me to a solution so I can stop having this debris backup into my pool. Thank you for your time!

Sometimes you can get the weir part number based on the model number of the skimmer basket. Does your skimmer basket have a model number? Can you find a similar skimmer basket online? That should narrow it down.

if not, they make universal weirs. Some universal weirs use a spring and the spring sit inside of a plastic tube and you could modify it by cutting it to fit. I've had to cut one to fit and used it for a few years. Last month I started searching for my skimmer basket and noticed found one that looked just like it online. I used the model of the skimmer basket and found out the weir model was the same. So, my basket model is Hayward SPX1082CA and the weir model number is SPX1082K.

I saw those universals, but they are all 5.25" tall. That would leave me with a roughly 3.5" gap from the top of blade to the top of the box. Do you have a recommendation for one that exceeds the height?

I'm going to check the basket as soon as I get home thank you!

Also check the under side of the skimmer lid, sometimes mfg and numbers are listed there.

INYO Pools and Sunplay both have lots of weirs with measurements listed.

Thank you everyone!!

I checked the underside of the skimmer lid, nothing. The basket, however, says "VAL-PAK V34-017", which the internet says replaces an Anthony square skimmer basket. The original basket was, apparently, an Anthony 2908. No matter how I search though, I cannot find a weir that matches the height. Everything seems to point to the same spring-loaded weirs, and they are the correct 7.25" width though. So I'm going to go with what kcindc says and just try and position it so the blade is over the waterline, even if that means it sits a bit off the bottom of the skimmer.

EDIT: I'm very new to pools, and I've learned that ideally, your water level is only roughly 50% height of your skimmer. So that's only roughly 4", and means a 5.25" weir blade should work just fine.

If that doesn't work, i found this weir that has a similar attachment style. I have no idea how reputable that company is or whether it will work: Server Error

I think Anthony was bought out by Hayward, so the current part number might be different. Might not be a bad idea to call one of the big online parts companies and tell them the skimmer model and see if they can help track down the weir.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.