Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Dead Algae clump and fall to the bottom?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Dead Algae clump and fall to the bottom?

This sounds like a silly question, but..... Does dead algae clump and fall to the bottom?

What is this stuff that always needs to be vacuumed up whenever I have to SLAM the pool? At home, my wife thinks it's just debris or pollen from the trees. At Lodge, I thought it was sand from the filter and some folks said it was debris blowing off the three flat roofs surrounding the pool.
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with sand filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Does Dead Algae clump and fall to the bottom?

dead algae can settle in the pool.

Edit deferring to Duraleigh on appearance of dead algae. Thanks to this site I have no firsthand knowledge of appearance of dead algae juts what I read.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It doesn't exactly "clump up", but it does fall to the floor as a brownish=greenish-yellowish "dust" that settles in every crevice and low spot on you pool floor.

When you brush it, it "poofs up but then resettles back down after a short period.

That you are seeing it after a SLAM tells me it is dead algae and not sand, pollen, dirt, etc.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with sand filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.