SWG with a big rock waterfall?

spud

Jul 20, 2016
Chapel Hill, NC
Ok, I've read a lot of threads and gone to Pool School, checked out and used PoolMath. I've had a lot of trouble over the 10 years of my pool's life. And I'm ready to start fresh with a new approach. Because what I have been doing does not work. I started with an Ecosmarte copper ionization system that couldn't hold off the algae. After 3 frustrating years, transferred to Chlorine pucks (trichlor pucks and dichlor shock) which got better. But every season, like now, I seem to get a cloudy pool and into algae problems in July in North Carolina. Lately I think its mustard algae so I'm SLAMing (as you say). And I've had a CYA problem because of all the stabilized chlorine. I have a big rock waterfall that seems to breed algae and perhaps why the Ecosmarte system failed.

The current read right before a SLAM: CH 5, PH 7.4, TA 90, CH 225, CYA 100, Phos 1000, Temp 84 deg.

Anyways, here's my big question: I've read a lot about the SWGs and how attractive they are. I would love one, but I hear from local pool guys, my builder, local pool store, and reading online (not necessarily on TFP) that I might get a lot of calcium on my rock waterfall with a SWG. TFP has some decent threads on this such as this one, but I'm really trying to confirm so I don't waste the investment and time. Can you suggest the issues or risk with a really large rock wall and a SWG in my pool situation?

New to TFP.

Thank you.:confused:

Welcome to TFP!

It is pretty easy to avoid getting calcium stains in and around your pool. Enter all your test results into PoolMath and it will calculate your CSI. Keep that number between -0.3 and 0. This will also make your plaster last longer and your SWG last longer.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling