Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New pool build in Katy, Texas!

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool build in Katy, Texas!

Pretty much complete. There are still a few issues that the PB needs to address before it's finished and we're hoping they take care of them to our satisfaction. Glad to join the forum and I'm already learning so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New pool build!

Hey, that's a beautiful oasis. Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New pool build!

Welcome, and you have a nice looking pool there. Now for a couple of house keeping points if you would please update your signature with your pool information, and refine your location a bit for us, you don't have to tell us your street address, but part of the state or nearest major city will help us give better advice, Texas is a big place after all and some of our advice may be different for different climates. See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I know these things are not that important for this post, but if you go ahead and set it up, then when it comes time to ask a question, you may get a quicker answer rather than having to go rounds asking about where you live, or what kind of pool / filter you have.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: New pool build in Katy, Texas!

Beautiful! What type and color plaster do you have? Love the water color! It's the shade I'm hoping mine turns out, but I think it might be a bit lighter.
    ​FINALLY FINISHEDIG 17.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14700 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP,2 fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, 6 jets, 2hp blower, DE Progrid70 filter, SWG Goldline System, OmniLogic automation, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Nursenini View Post
    Beautiful! What type and color plaster do you have? Love the water color! It's the shade I'm hoping mine turns out, but I think it might be a bit lighter.

Thank you! I've been following your pool build a while, hope everything comes out ok! Our pool builder got ours done in 4 weeks! Not bad at all. Yes we've got a few things that need attending but hopefully that gets taken care of. We were at least able to swim in during the weekend before they did the acid part.

The plaster finish is Wet Edge Luna Aruba Quartz. We really like the color but some of the plaster finish is blotchy. Our PB is saying after the acid and brushing it should look better but I'm a bit skeptical. We shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Hey, that's a beautiful oasis. Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Welcome, and you have a nice looking pool there. Now for a couple of house keeping points if you would please update your signature with your pool information, and refine your location a bit for us, you don't have to tell us your street address, but part of the state or nearest major city will help us give better advice, Texas is a big place after all and some of our advice may be different for different climates. See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I know these things are not that important for this post, but if you go ahead and set it up, then when it comes time to ask a question, you may get a quicker answer rather than having to go rounds asking about where you live, or what kind of pool / filter you have.

Ike
    Signature updated and threads read. Now looking into test kits.
    20k gallon, 20x32, salt (NOT FOR ANOTHER WEEK), gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump etc. and equipment, acid dispenser (net yet used).
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

6. Back To Top    #6

If our builder would have used Wet Edge, we loved the colors they have. The Aruba and the Antigua were both pretty and yours looks great! Love the spillover too! Very nice!
    Brian (Frisco, TX)
    2016 18,250 Gallon IG, Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Master Temp 400k, , EastyTouch 8/ScreenLogic Surface: Pebblesheen Blue Surf with Abalone, Travertine Coping and Pavers. 3 LED in Pool 1 in Spa. New Frisco, TX Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

PB is about to finish off the muriatic acid treatment and go forward with the chlorine. We can't add salt for a few more weeks. Should I wait to try to TFP methods until the salt is added? Getting a bit stressed out with so much to think about.
    20k gallon, 20x32, salt (NOT FOR ANOTHER WEEK), gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump etc. and equipment, acid dispenser (net yet used).

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You probably need to do whatever the PB says to protect warranty, but you can let us know what he's recommending and TFPC will either be compatible or can be made so with a tweak or two.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting

9. Back To Top    #9

You probably need to do whatever the PB says to protect warranty, but you can let us know what he's recommending and TFPC will either be compatible or can be made so with a tweak or two.
    Didn't think about that (the warranty part). I'll talk to them and see what they recommend.

I do plan on sealing the flagstone and rock though soon to protect the finish. That dupont stuff is pricey but people swear by it.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

It's pricey but at least it's easy to paint something below you! Do it soon cause it works best while it's all nice and clean. You'll be surprised how quick it is to do.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is the kit the pool builder gave me. Looks decent but from what I can see no cya test?

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R1511...ct_top?ie=UTF8

12. Back To Top    #12

Trouble in paradise! Looks like we have a leak. Arghh, hopefully it gets taken care of soon.

IMG_1771[1].jpg

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

You'll need a TF100 test kit to manage the pool well. Order it here: TFTestkits.net

If you can swing it, but the speed stirrer as well. Everyone who has one loves it.

Getting there!

14. Back To Top    #14

First results for 10 day old pool water.

Just using the pentair kit I get numbers of

.5 chlorine ( ideal level of 2?)
    8.2 ph (needed 3 drops to get it back to normal range)
    120 alkalinity

Looking at pool math is says I need to add 56 ounces of 6% bleach and 25 ounces of muriatic acid.

Does this sound right?

Had kids and people over last night and plan on doing the same today. Haven't even gone through pool school yet (scheduled on monday) but want to be ahead of the curve. Will I be ok waiting one more day or should I add bleach now?

Thanks.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I'd be inclined to buy something 8.25% or above. If what you have says 6% on the jug, it should be OK to use.

The pool won't hold chlorine through more than 2 or 3 hours of sun until it has some stabilizer (aka cyanuric acid, aka CYA) in the water.

Your pH is probably above 8.2, maybe 8.4/8.6ish

Numbers sound fine. Is your test kit on the way?

16. Back To Top    #16

I'd be inclined to buy something 8.25% or above. If what you have says 6% on the jug, it should be OK to use.

The pool won't hold chlorine through more than 2 or 3 hours of sun until it has some stabilizer (aka cyanuric acid, aka CYA) in the water.

Your pH is probably above 8.2, maybe 8.4/8.6ish

Numbers sound fine. Is your test kit on the way?
    I already have a ph test kit with the pentair kit so that means I only need the TF-50? Or should I still get the TF-100?

Also, I notice some of the walls feel a bit slimy to the touch. Algae coming on?

17. Back To Top    #17

Bump. Need to get this thing ordered so I can start owning that water.

18. Back To Top    #18

It's impossible to make any recommendations without knowing what your CYA level is because that will determine what your FC needs to be. So getting that TF100 is key
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

The TF 50 is designed as a complement kit for someone who already has and wants to use a 4in1 style kit. So the answer is yes as far as minimum requirements.

You also get fewer tests of:
    Test | TF50 | TF100
    CYA | 3 tests | 16 tests
    FC | 35 tests | 70 tests

The TF50 does not include OTO chlorine, which some people use a quick daily checker for FC

If it were me, I'd get the TF100 because of the better long term value. You can see how the two kits compare and use up the reagents in the Pentair kit if you're happy with the reading. The reagents keep well as long as you keep the kit out of the weather for storage. If you can swing the extra $35, people swear by their speed-stirrers. At one time you got free shipping if it was over $100, so that might be a consideration.

Also, check out "Become a supporter" linked in my signature. It's a modest one-time donation, tax-deductible, and I think gets you a coupon at TFTestKits. All the advice is volunteer here at TFP, but the little donations cover the forum costs and keep everything flowing.

Here's the table which is accurate for the TF test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

20. Back To Top    #20

Drinking and brushing don't mix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast