I need some experience and advice

Jul 19, 2016
Newport, WA
I have operated my swimming pool with minimal problems for nearly 7 years. This year, I did the same process I always do in opening my pool (after winterization). I added the necessary chemicals and balanced the water. As usual, the water turned from algae green to blue. However, the water never cleared. I added an extra bottle of clarifier, but it did nothing. I have been able to hypothesize that my problem is the filter. When I backwash the filter, it is spitting out clear water. However, there is only about 2 feet of clarity in my pool. I opened up my filter and everything seems to be fine. What am I missing?

Do you have a test kit that will allow you to test what's in your water? In particular, you need to constantly monitor chlorine and PH levels, but you also need to know how much stabilizer is in your water, calcium, alkalinity, etc.

Welcome to TFP,

I'm betting that your CYA level is over 100. You add CYA (stabilizer) to your water every time you put in a chlorine tab, or powdered shock (dichlor or trichlor.)

Over the past seven years your CYA level has gone up each year and it is now at an unmanageable level. High CYA levels require much more chlorine to do the same thing.
See the Chlorine/CYA chart for more info.

To lower your CYA level, you will need to do a partial water exchange. I recently had to change 70% of my water to get my CYA level down to 40ppm.

Please order one of the recommended test kits, the TF 100 or the Taylor K-2006C. You can get the Taylor one from Amazon, or the TF 100 from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

While waiting for your test kit to arrive, please do some reading at "Pool School" from the link at the top of this page.

I'm pretty sure you will need to do a significant water change to get your pool in line.

Major

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature, as described in this link.

Oh, and how many gallons is your pool? Use the pool math calculator, link at top of page, to put in your measurements to get your gallons. You need to add some chlorine, we only use liquid chlorine, aka bleach, in our pools on this forum. You need the plain bleach, not dripless, no fragrance. The strength of the bleach should be on the label, 8.25% is the most common. You can also find the 10% and sometimes 12.5%. For my pool, 24,000 gallons, I added 1 jug (121 oz) of the Walmart great value 8.25% bleach each night until my test kit arrived.

Thank you for your responses. To answer a couple of your questions...I updated my signature as requested. I don't have all of the information in front of me, but this is what I have to this point.

In Re: CYA level. I did a test on this and it did test high. However, I just did a massive water replacement in the pool. We had an unfortunate accident in which a deer was chased into our pool last fall just before we winterized. The deer punctured a number of holes in the vinyl liner. It drained approximately 60% of the water out of the pool. So the water in the pool is pretty fresh. It sounds as if I may need to do it again though??? Would adding stabilizer to my water effect anything. I have not done this for quite some time.

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.