Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need some experience and advice

1. Back To Top    #1

I need some experience and advice

I have operated my swimming pool with minimal problems for nearly 7 years. This year, I did the same process I always do in opening my pool (after winterization). I added the necessary chemicals and balanced the water. As usual, the water turned from algae green to blue. However, the water never cleared. I added an extra bottle of clarifier, but it did nothing. I have been able to hypothesize that my problem is the filter. When I backwash the filter, it is spitting out clear water. However, there is only about 2 feet of clarity in my pool. I opened up my filter and everything seems to be fine. What am I missing?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need some experience and advice

Do you have a test kit that will allow you to test what's in your water? In particular, you need to constantly monitor chlorine and PH levels, but you also need to know how much stabilizer is in your water, calcium, alkalinity, etc.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP,

I'm betting that your CYA level is over 100. You add CYA (stabilizer) to your water every time you put in a chlorine tab, or powdered shock (dichlor or trichlor.)

Over the past seven years your CYA level has gone up each year and it is now at an unmanageable level. High CYA levels require much more chlorine to do the same thing.
    See the Chlorine/CYA chart for more info.

To lower your CYA level, you will need to do a partial water exchange. I recently had to change 70% of my water to get my CYA level down to 40ppm.

Please order one of the recommended test kits, the TF 100 or the Taylor K-2006C. You can get the Taylor one from Amazon, or the TF 100 from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

While waiting for your test kit to arrive, please do some reading at "Pool School" from the link at the top of this page.

I'm pretty sure you will need to do a significant water change to get your pool in line.

Major

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature, as described in this link.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, and how many gallons is your pool? Use the pool math calculator, link at top of page, to put in your measurements to get your gallons. You need to add some chlorine, we only use liquid chlorine, aka bleach, in our pools on this forum. You need the plain bleach, not dripless, no fragrance. The strength of the bleach should be on the label, 8.25% is the most common. You can also find the 10% and sometimes 12.5%. For my pool, 24,000 gallons, I added 1 jug (121 oz) of the Walmart great value 8.25% bleach each night until my test kit arrived.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome Jlhorton.

Schadenfreude is right there could be several things wrong a water test would lead us in the right direction
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of filter do you have? Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it and more info on posting test results, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for your responses. To answer a couple of your questions...I updated my signature as requested. I don't have all of the information in front of me, but this is what I have to this point.

In Re: CYA level. I did a test on this and it did test high. However, I just did a massive water replacement in the pool. We had an unfortunate accident in which a deer was chased into our pool last fall just before we winterized. The deer punctured a number of holes in the vinyl liner. It drained approximately 60% of the water out of the pool. So the water in the pool is pretty fresh. It sounds as if I may need to do it again though??? Would adding stabilizer to my water effect anything. I have not done this for quite some time.

Thanks again.
    35,000 gal., IG vinyl, 20x40 rectangular, 3.5' depth at shallow end, 8' depth at deep end. Deep end has tapered bottom.
    Sand Filter, Hayward pump
    One skimmer, one main drain at bottom of deep end, two jets.

8. Back To Top    #8

What out a proper water test we would be guessing at everything

We need you to do a good water test preferably using the TF100
    or Taylor 2006 kit

Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll get a water test done when I get home. I'll upload it tonight.
    35,000 gal., IG vinyl, 20x40 rectangular, 3.5' depth at shallow end, 8' depth at deep end. Deep end has tapered bottom.
    Sand Filter, Hayward pump
    One skimmer, one main drain at bottom of deep end, two jets.

10. Back To Top    #10

Have a read here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach