buildup......

Ebj

Dec 25, 2015
Redding, CA
I have recently cleaned my filters, all my chem levels are great and in the range recommended. Yet it seems that after about 3-4 days there is a little brownish/greenish buildup in the surfaces of the pool. So I've been brushing the pool 1-2 times a week. I guess my question is am I missing something? It seems that brushing 1-2 times a week is more then I expected....or is this pretty standard?

What might be helpful as well is that my pool has these little popup heads that are jets and they rotate and kick up whatever is on the bottom of the pool in the shallow and deep end. So when my pump is running it determines how hard the jets go, for example when I set the pump speed to 4 the jets are working strong, when the pump is on speed 1 the jets are weaker.... So I'm guessing that instead of a pool sweeper the previous owner had these installed to kick up and clean off the surface of the pool and then it get's filtered via the pool filter. Does anyone have this setup? Any recommendations on how to use this right and dial it in good I would love your input!

Define "chem levels are great". We need test results ;)

Sounds like you have an in-floor system. I had one at previous house. Downside is that they do not keep the pool very clean and you have to run the pump on a high speed for a long time to get the dirt into the skimmer or floor drain.

If you run the pump at high enough speed for long enough, mine actually did keep the pool fairly clean (dirt would gather in a few spots and I would brush it toward the drain.

The alternative is to get some other kind of cleaner.

Has you FC dropped too low in the past? Just want to be sure that you may not have algae starting.

I thought they recommend a full circuit around for each jet, so you can figure it out based on hire many zone, how long they are on and how much they turn each time. I think it is usually many many hours, 8+ which is a big downside.

You asked for my test results in regards to the buildup and me brushing 1-2 a week. You had wondered about if there was beginning to be a algae buildup..... etc.. So I guess my question is, is this normal (brushing 1-2 a week and it doesn't take much for buildup) or am I missing something?

A few pictures of the infloor pop-up heads and the water distribution valve may help identify which brand of infloor cleaner you have. Knowing what brand may assist in determining how long it takes the heads to run through a full 360 degree cycle at a given rpm.

You will need to run at a high rpm to clean the pool using the infloor forgiven amount to of time. Probably not full speed - but probably at or above 2800 rpm. Once floor cleaning is complete, you can run at a much lower rpm for the rest of the needed run time.

EDIT:
You should still brush the entire pool surface once a week. But there probably shouldn't be a discernible buildup on the walls on a consistent basis. Have you considered preforming an OCLT to rule out any organic issues?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For some reason the browser is not letting me upload pics. The brand of the infloor pop up heads are "Caretaker 99".

Ok on brushing once a week. When I do brush it is noticeable that it's been brushed as it kicks up a brownish cloudy substance.

A few pictures of the infloor pop-up heads and the water distribution valve may help identify which brand of infloor cleaner you have. Knowing what brand may assist in determining how long it takes the heads to run through a full 360 degree cycle at a given rpm.

You will need to run at a high rpm to clean the pool using the infloor forgiven amount to of time. Probably not full speed - but probably at or above 2800 rpm. Once floor cleaning is complete, you can run at a much lower rpm for the rest of the needed run time.

EDIT:
You should still brush the entire pool surface once a week. But there probably shouldn't be a discernible buildup on the walls on a consistent basis. Have you considered preforming an OCLT to rule out any organic issues?

Ok - Caretaker 99 by Jandy

Is the water distribution valve a 5 port or 8 port? I think the default time per zone is 45 seconds - and is probably based on pump being on highest speed (3450 rpms). Slower speeds will results in less flow, hence the zone will stay on for a longer period of time - and may not provide enough velocity to clean to your satisfaction.

Here's the manual in case you don't already have it: Caretaker 99 Manual
You will need to experiment with run time and rpm to determine parameters to keep the pool clean to your standards. Based on this experimentation, you can then determine if additional run time is needed at a lower rpm to satisfy your filtering/skimming needs.

I still think an OCLT would be to your benefit.

I did OCLT and it stayed the same - 6. My guess is now that with the infloor system that the poo is not getting properly cleaned. So I will run the pump on higher speeds for longer periods. I may get a pool vacuum as well to keep anything from building up on the bottom.....

Ok - Caretaker 99 by Jandy

Is the water distribution valve a 5 port or 8 port? I think the default time per zone is 45 seconds - and is probably based on pump being on highest speed (3450 rpms). Slower speeds will results in less flow, hence the zone will stay on for a longer period of time - and may not provide enough velocity to clean to your satisfaction.

Here's the manual in case you don't already have it: Caretaker 99 Manual
You will need to experiment with run time and rpm to determine parameters to keep the pool clean to your standards. Based on this experimentation, you can then determine if additional run time is needed at a lower rpm to satisfy your filtering/skimming needs.

I still think an OCLT would be to your benefit.

Any other suggestions from anyone? All my chem levels are great (posted above) and the water isn't crystal clear, I would say its about 80% clear. I had some leaves on the bottom of the pool today so I went ahead and swept them up and in doing that, a cloud formed in the water right where my net went. So it seems there is a bit of sediment on the bottom and it get's kicked up. This also happens when I turn my pump on speed 4 (3200 rpm). So I guess my question is would the sediment buildup on the bottom be a result of the the infloor system not doing a great job? Would my main drain not be functioning while pump is running? Is a pool vacuum the next best step to vacuum all the sediment up? Thanks in advance.

Since you pass the OCLT, there may not be any algae to worry about.

I think you just need to run your pump at a higher speed and for longer so that the sediment stays in suspension and is eventually trapped by the filter.

Your floor drain might be sucking water, depends on your plumbing setup.

Sorry for delaying my reply. I have good news. I run my pump at speed 4 for 3 hours every morning then it goes back to lower speeds for 5 hours and my pool is looking clear as clear can get. It took a few days to get all the sediment kicked up and into the filters but it's looking really good for around 4-5 days. So I think i've got it all sorted now. Thanks for your help everyone!

Since you pass the OCLT, there may not be any algae to worry about.

I think you just need to run your pump at a higher speed and for longer so that the sediment stays in suspension and is eventually trapped by the filter.

Your floor drain might be sucking water, depends on your plumbing setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.