Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sock method?

1. Back To Top    #1

sock method?

I am doing the sock method for my cya , since I am adding it this way I assume I can backwash if needed?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sock method?

Quote Originally Posted by ethany
    I am doing the sock method for my cya , since I am adding it this way I assume I can backwash if needed?
    Yes, backwash as needed.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

realize that while you won't be washing away the undissolved CYA you will be diluting what is in the pool a bit with each backwash and refill.

4. Back To Top    #4

Does anyone have a pic of their sock setup handy? I'm a visual person and would like to get an idea how to attach the sock in front of the return when we're done with our Baquacrap to chlorine conversion.

TIA!
    Jennifer
    24 ft. AG-approx 13,500 gal
    2 HP sand filter-2 speed
    4ft x 20ft Sunheater Solar Panels

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll add a pic of mine tonight. Along these lines, is it ok to swim while the sock is in there?
    Alan
    30ft AGP
    2hp pump
    TFTestkits ,Pool Calculator, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks irishal, that would be great.
    Jennifer
    2 HP sand filter-2 speed

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have a photo, but it is pretty simple.

1. Nested a pair of ladies knee-highs and filled sac with ~ 1.5 pound of CYA. ties open-end to form a sac.
    2. Tied an 18-inch heavy twine to the stocking-knot and looped the other twine-end with another knot. Want the sac to hang maybe 15 inches from the loop end.
    3. Took a 6-foot 2x4, put 1 nail in it near one end.
    4. Placed twine loop around the nail and set the 2x4 on the concrete deck with the hanging sac about 12 inches out from the pool wall at the return jet, dangling in the water in front of the return jet.

The 4.5 feet of 2x4 on the concrete deck offset the weight of the CYA sac, but you could place more weight on the concrete end if desired.

Jetting water lazily moves the sac around while bathing the sac in the flow. CYA dissolved easily in 12 hours (though an occasional squeeze /wringing of the sac helped disperse the dissolved CYA).

Repeat as necessary with another load until you reach desired CYA level.
    Greater Boston area
    20,000 Gal IG Vinyl
    48 sq ft DE panel filter
    1 HP Hayward Pump
    Full Sun exposure all day

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RackingJ
    Does anyone have a pic of their sock setup handy? I'm a visual person and would like to get an idea how to attach the sock in front of the return when we're done with our Baquacrap to chlorine conversion.

TIA!
    Jen, you and I have almost the same pool - I just tied the sock to a piece of clothesline, ran it up and over the toprail, and tied the other end around the outside of the return fitting, enough length so that the filled sock was flapping about from the water pressure....if that makes sense.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

I had a CrAzY thought....

I'm also trying to get my CYA distributed into my pool and am currently using the sock method.

My question is....does anyone think it is possible to put CYA in a home blender (old glass one we don't use anymore) with a large amount of water and *coax* the CYA to dissolve faster? Then you could just broadcast the liquid into your pool.

Second thought....could you dissolve it faster by placing it in a shakeable container with pool water and get it to dissolve any faster by agitating it?

Can you tell they don't sell liquid CYA anywhere in my hometown?
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Why is everyone always in such a hurry to get the CYA to dissolve?

Relax, open a bottle of POP (pool owner patience), and add CYA the normal way and give the full week to dissolve. There is no reason to spend time or money getting CYA in more quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Pics as promised. The sock is tied to a piece of weighted PVC piping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan
    30ft AGP
    2hp pump

12. Back To Top    #12

hlemon, the CYA that I added earlier this year actually dissolved pretty quickly just using the ol' sock method. I don't remember the brand name right now, but it's what Home Depot carries. I put it in a long sweat-sock, tied the top in a knot, and just dropped it into the skimmer bucket. I returned after 24 hours (pump wasn't running the whole time) and the granules were already a soft mush inside the sock. At this point, with the pump running, I just grabbed the sock and started squeezing it and it all dissolved (looked like a milky liquid coming out of the sock). It took about 2-3 minutes of squeezing and it was done. No blender needed!

Greg
    12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Jen, you and I have almost the same pool - I just tied the sock to a piece of clothesline, ran it up and over the toprail, and tied the other end around the outside of the return fitting, enough length so that the filled sock was flapping about from the water pressure....if that makes sense.
    That was a perfect description! Thanks.

Thanks for the pic, Irishal.
    Jennifer
    2 HP sand filter-2 speed

14. Back To Top    #14

irishal- I really like your liner! The design at the top is nice.

rhythm- mine usually does ok. I was just trying to hurry the process along because I have NO CYA in my pool right now and am trying to fight algae. I tried the shaker method, it does dissolve some of it.
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Why is everyone always in such a hurry to get the CYA to dissolve?
    I want my sparkly pool NOW!!!!!

Here's another trick! Somebody said they used a 5-gal bucket of really hot water to pre-dissolve the CYA, it was gone in a comparatively short time (hour, maybe?) then just pour that into the skimmer so the filter will catch any miniscule bits left.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

16. Back To Top    #16

4 weeks ago i couldn't see the top of my liner
    It was seriously green. As I said in another thread I dumped $$$$$ at the pool store for 2 1/2 weeks until coming across TFP. 8 days was what it took from green to sparkling using BBB.
    Alan
    30ft AGP
    2hp pump