Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I add chemicals now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I add chemicals now?

Ok, heres my concern! We had our new pool installed over the weekend and started filling it yesterday about 3:30pm and as of right now it's about half full. My concern is should I wait until it is completely full before i can add chemicals? I stopped by walmart on the way home from work tonight and picked up six gallons of the liquid chlorine just in case, oh, and a bag of baking soda for the TA level. This pool is about 19,000 gallons and will take about another 24hrs or so to be completely full. I dont want things to start growing in the pool that really should'nt be there. I havent tested the water yet either.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I add chemicals now?

You can start the CYA dissolving in a suspended sock and can put some bleach in and mix it around with a brush.

Odds are you will NEVER need that baking soda (which raises TA, not pH ... back to Pool School Recommended Pool Chemicals) in Texas. I am sure your CH and TA are already plenty high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help jblizzle. Sorry for being such a pool rookie, kinda new at this. Does it matter that i can not run the pump/filter like it says to in pool school after adding cya in a sock?

4. Back To Top    #4

No worries

The real question is .... Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits already?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Taylor K-2005C test kit. My apologies, I thought that I had already added that info. I have a 27'x52" above ground metal frame pool, about 19,324 gallons.
    27'x52" Yorkshire Metal Frame Pool (19,324 gallons). Pentair Dynamo 1.5hp pump/22" Sand Dollar Filter (250lbs).

6. Back To Top    #6

If you only have the 2005, then you need to add the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test to get the equivalent to the recommended 2006.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I will do that. How much liquid chlorine should I add at this point?

8. Back To Top    #8

No more than 2ppm.
    If you are only half full. Put 10000 in PoolMath and see what is needed to raise from a FC of 0 to 2ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Is there a certain cya you might recomend for me to use?

10. Back To Top    #10

You are eventually going to want to get up around 50ppm (assuming no SWG).

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Recommended Chemistry Levels
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

It says to add 26oz of 10% bleach to raise from 0 to 2ppm.

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds reasonable.

Slowly pour it where the hose is adding water and a quick brushing will mix it. Until you get the CYA in the water, the sun will destroy all the chlorine every day. If you happened to have some trichlor tablets and a floater, you could start to add the FC and CYA that way. But, I would not go out and buy them if you do not have them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

No swg. I do have leftover 3" pucks from the previous pool i can add in a floater i have. Should i use that instead of liquid or in addition to? I do not have any cya yet, I can pick that up tomorrow if you can recommend one.
    27'x52" Yorkshire Metal Frame Pool (19,324 gallons). Pentair Dynamo 1.5hp pump/22" Sand Dollar Filter (250lbs).

14. Back To Top    #14

The show sig box under the text box was not checked. I checked it on a couple of posts. Make sure it is checked one time for each device you use and it will stay checked after that.

I buy CYA at Lowe's. It comes in a 4 lb jug, get granular. Aka cyanuric acid, aka stabilizer. Put it in a sock or knee high. More here on adding chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

The tablets are slow to dissolve, so you could float them and add bleach too. PoolMath can tell you how much CYA the tablets will add.
    Jason, TFP Moderator