Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time spent with no water

1. Back To Top    #1

Time spent with no water

I am draining the water from my pool to fix the liner. The liner has not yet been fully installed. We are basically starting from step one with the liner. (I have a doughboy and there are many wrinkles, so we're going to restretch it) I was told by a woman at a pool store that you can't put up the walls without immediately putting in the liner and water, or the wind will blow it over. I am paranoid that if I pump out the water over night and while at work tomorrow, the pool will collapse before we get home to work on the liner. I do live in a windy area (open farm land all over) The pool has been up since Saturday, with only about a foot of water in it as it is, but I am concerned.

What experience do you have leaving a pool empty for maintenance?

Thanks
    Thanks,
    Andi,
    older above ground 24" doughboy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time spent with no water

My mom and dad have a 24x4 and when we put the last liner in it i drained it and it was empty for almost 3 weeks and it was ok.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea the biggest concern with an empty above ground pool is very high winds like during storms. As long as the shell of the pool stays together, and none of the top rails are removed then the pool stays structurally stable and sturdy. I wouldn't worry too much about it sitting that way for just a few days unless there is a chance of any severe weather.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks. I was so worried. The lady at the pool store made it sound like it would surely collapse if it were left up empty.