Attach UV filter to Intex sand filter?

Jul 19, 2016
Reston/Virginia
Hello,

We bought a 10-ft wide Intex pool (3ft deep) for our ducks and are now trying to learn how to keep the water in some kind of reasonable state. The Intex 1600gph sand filter is nice and all but isn't doing much for algae. Rather than adding chemicals all the time, I'm thinking that a UV light (Pondmaster 02940) may be the way to go. But the question is how to connect it.

The Pondmaster has a '1.5 inch inlet and outlet for attaching flexible tubing'. Can anyone provide advice on how this can be connected in between the Intex filter and the pool? I'm trying to make sure it's even possible before purchasing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We do not typically recommend UV systems for outdoor residential pools, but your pool sounds a little different.

Remember the UV system will only act on the water passing through the system, so if algae is growing on the surface, the UV will not do anything to help you.

If it is for ducks, why do you care if there is algae?

Thanks, I figured this would be a bit of an oddball. :)

We don't need perfectly clear water by any means, but within 10 days of going live with this thing, we can't even see the bottom of the pool. (It gets a heavy dose of sun during the day.)

My thought is that the UV filter would be good for general bacteria control as well as algae. Just to keep things from getting out of hand. The world of pool hoses/adapters seems mighty complex, so I'm trying to get my bearings on what the options would be to do this type of connection.

Welcome to TFP!

I have had several Koi ponds over the years. My last one was 10k gallons or so with a pretty big bio filter, stream and two big bog areas with plants and gravel. It was as clear as my pool. No UV. UV effectiveness in koi ponds is dubious as well. But, nothing can survive duck poo! They are prolific. Ducks and geese will foul any body of water they are around including multi acre ponds. The only thing koi enthusiasts hate more than ducks is blue herons. I don't think there is any way to keep that pool clear, I don't even chlorine would work.

Koiphen.com is a good pond forum they might have more or better ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.