Omnilogic Chlorinator error

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I have the following message in Omnilogic:

CHLOR Too Low Salt Chlorinator1

I guess the technical term is that it is an ALARM in Omnilogic.

Any idea what that is referring to? What is the remedy? If I look at the Omnilogic control panel via online internet access (not through mobile app), there in an indication of "Chlorination paused - low salt".

What do i need to do to get the salt higher and the chlorination going again?

Are answers to these questions in ANY Hayward literature? If yes, please point me in the right direction.

Current readings:

Instant salt 1593
Average salt 2185
Relay polarity K2
Cell voltage 28.13
Cell Current 4.33
Cell Type T15

TIA

Your SWG thinks the salt level is too low.
To fix it, you need too ....... drum roll please ....... add more salt :poke: :mrgreen:
Hayward likes to be in the 2700-4000ppm range ... target around 3500.

Actually before you add more salt:
How old is the cell?
Have you checked if it needs cleaning?
I would want to verify the salt level with an independent test and highly recommend you get the Taylor salt drop test.

Jblizzle thank you for your assistance.

I have the Taylor test. I will check it.

The cell is about a year old. I cleaned it a few months ago following a clean cell alarm. It was very clean inside. I think it was an alarm based on time and not actually needing cleaning.

Do I need to add salt bc i likely had the percentage set too low and it fell behind?

Or is adding salt every so often just needed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You are correct that there is a timer that reminds you to check the cell (every 3 months or so). If it is clean, do not acid clean it as that shortens the life of the cell.

When the cells get old and start dying or they get very dirty, they will report salt levels lower reality. Does not sound like either of these should apply to you.

The salt should not go away unless you have a leak or end up dumping a lot of water after rains. So definitely see what your salt test says. FYI, my salt test has always read about 600ppm higher than the SWG, but since I know that, I just use the test to track trends.

The salt levels being reported are so low that I would think that there might be something going wrong besides just low salt.

What is the salt level history?

What else comes to mind as far as something else being wrong?

Is there someplace where I could find the salt level history? I probably should be checking it regularly, but I haven't (bad TFP participant). It was working great and I kinda just let it be.

I will check it with the taylor kit and see where it really is at.

I had the cell set at 55%. I just increased that to 70% today. I was just reading some other threads and it seems some folks change the percentage based on factors such as outdoor temps and sun. If so, I have failed to do that.

It's possible that the level has dropped over time. It's important to check the level as reported by the box and by testing at least monthly.

If the level had been good and suddenly went down, I would suspect a leak or a bad cell.

The only way salt is lost is by water loss other than by evaporation and refill with fresh water.

Do you have a autofill?

How deep is your pool?

When is the last time that the salt level was checked and what was the reading?

I haven't checked it for many months. As I mentioned earlier. I set it and forget it. I suspect it dropped over time.

I'm gonna get the salt level back up where it should be then monitor it as I'm suppose to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One way that the instant salt could be significantly lower than the average salt would be a sudden addition of a lot of water where the fresh water would make up a disproportionately large percentage of the water in the system such as several inches of rain where the rain gets pulled in by the skimmers or filling with a garden hose in the skimmer.

One way that the instant salt could be significantly lower than the average salt would be a sudden addition of a lot of water where the fresh water would make up a disproportionately large percentage of the water such a several inches of rain where the rain get pulled in by the skimmers or filling with a garden hose in the skimmer.
There wasnt a sudden addition of fresh water. Unless the auto fill is refilling.....But I doubt that's the case.

Sometimes an autofill can mask a leak. It’s automatic, so you don’t realize that you’re losing water.

Another way that the salt can read low is insufficient water flow. The flow switch should prevent operation with low flow, but there might be a defective switch. Is there good flow when the salt level is being checked? What is the pump RPM?

Another way that salt can read low is air in the system. This can come from skimmers running dry, a stuck weir, solar coming on etc.

If the water is really warm, you might want to target 3,000 to 3,200 ppm. With warm water, the AquaRite is prone to overamping at even regular salinity levels.

Also, make sure that when you turn on the salt system, you have good flow and no air in the lines.

Your instant salinity is pretty far below the average salinity and the Taylor test. Not sure why. Hopefully it's just a transient error.

Maybe check your cell for scale.

If the water is really warm, you might want to target 3,000 to 3,200 ppm. With warm water, the AquaRite is prone to overamping at even regular salinity levels.

Also, make sure that when you turn on the salt system, you have good flow and no air in the lines.

Your instant salinity is pretty far below the average salinity and the Taylor test. Not sure why. Hopefully it's just a transient error.

Maybe check your cell for scale.

My water temperature fluctuates greatly. This week when the air temperatures are upwards of 100° the water temperature can easily get to 86° last week the air temperatures were in the 80s in which case the water temperatures were in the high 70s. Pool gets Sun most of the day. Pool is only 6.5 feet deep in the deep end so it warms up quickly.....And cools quickly.

Looks like I need to add about 100 lbs of salt to get to 3100 ppm. Pool is 25k gallons

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.