Closing and Getting Rid of Pool

Jul 19, 2016
Steger
I need some advice. Recently, my dad passed away and he was the one that took care of the pool and I'm trying to close down my pool. Could I drain my pool even though it is green? It is an above ground pool. I'm actually want to get rid of it cause now it is just me and my mom. I'm about to go back in college for the fall semester and I don't want my mom wasting money and worrying about the pool. Please help me with this. I would appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sorry to hear about your father. As for the pool, draining shouldn't be a problem as long as you have no city ordnances or neighborhood restrictions prohibiting it. I'm assuming the green is just algae huh? If so, just start the draining process by using a siphoning hose or using the backwash to waste option if you have a sand filter with a multiport valve. Sometimes you can borrow or rent a small submersible pump that works wonders. Not sure about your pool details, but just aim the water to the best location and let it go. If you think there is any possibility of reusing the pool or placing it for sale later (above ground type), make sure to save all the pieces. Maybe take some pics for reference later. Hope that helps. If you have anymore questions, please let us know.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you just want to get rid of it, post it up on Craigslist for cheap/free and have them come and disassemble and take it away ;)

If you drain it and leave it sit empty, the wind could destroy it. So, I would suggest posting it up and agreeing with someone to come get it before pumping it dry ... shoot, make them pump it dry :D

The people on Craigslist may rather see that it holds water anyway. We sold our last Intex pool that way. They were glad to see it up and were glad to help take it down so they could see how to put it back together. It was good.

Even if it is not in good condition, there are people that will take it for free, especially if there is a lot of a aluminum parts. People take it for scrap value.

You really should not have to pay to get rid of an above ground pool, and may even be able to make a few bucks

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.