Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pump too large?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Is my pump too large?

I've been thinking my pump is too large for my pool. It's 2HP and the water really flows from the jets, my kids have trouble swimming against the current. When I came home today my pump motor was running but not pumping and it was making more noise than usual. I think it's done after 13+ years of Missouri weather. Should I replace it a 1 1/2HP?

Thanks,
    Matt
    16x32 rectangular in-ground with vinyl liner. 5ft deep end , 3ft shallow. Sand filter, 2hp pump, 2 skimmers, 2 jets & 1 main drain. Liquid chlorine & tablets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pump too large?

Welcome to the forum!

If you have no high flow rate needs (e.g. spa, waterfall), then almost any pump will do. I run my pool on a 1/2 HP 2 speed pump. So I would say a 1 1/2 HP is still too big. Do you have a controller or timer to turn on and off the pump?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a timer and run it about 14 - 16 hours a day.
    16x32 rectangular in-ground with vinyl liner. 5ft deep end , 3ft shallow. Sand filter, 2hp pump, 2 skimmers, 2 jets & 1 main drain. Liquid chlorine & tablets.

4. Back To Top    #4

14-16 hours is probably way more time than you need too. My pump averages about 4 hours per day in the summer.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

If you are interested in a two speed, here are a couple of good choices:

Hayward MaxFlo XL SP2307X102
    Pentair SuperFlo 340042

But you would need to add a two speed timer to switch speeds automatically. Or you could switch speeds manually.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

What is he advantage of the two speed? Efficiency?

6. Back To Top    #6

Saving $ on electricity by running at the lower speed most of the time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, low speed reduces energy costs by over 75%. High speed of your old pump probably used between 2000-2500 watts. The pumps above on high speed will use 1000-1400 watts and on low speed 250-300 watts.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

OK thanks!