Are any of these pumps good for my pool?

Jul 31, 2011
Galloway, NJ
I have a Summer Waves 18X48. The pump is awful and barely works, which I knew going into it. I thought we could limp it along for the first year though, but it's truly awful.

I'm hoping to buy something secondhand, but I also want to make sure it's the correct thing. Honestly, reading everything about pumps and filters is getting a bit overwhelming. Would any of these work for my pool? (And I know I'll probably have to engineer some adapters to make hoses fit correctly.)

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/for/5688871755.html

Hayward Pump and Filter I can't tell if it says 0.5 HP or 1.5 HP because there is a bit of debris covering it. I messaged the seller.

22 inch high sand filter with 1 1/2 HP pump

Also, is there a "pool pump/filter 101" that I can read? I've been googling, but everything is just so overwhelming.

It is not so much is it too much pump for your pool, but is it too much pump for your filter? Pumps and filters can be matched using similar gallons per minute ( GPM) or gallons per hour (GPH) ratings. You want a filter with a similar ( or slightly higher GPM/GPH rating). Last year I powered a 25 GPM filter with a 83PGM pump. I blew a spider gasket and covered the pool floor in sand!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.