Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are any of these pumps good for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are any of these pumps good for my pool?

I have a Summer Waves 18X48. The pump is awful and barely works, which I knew going into it. I thought we could limp it along for the first year though, but it's truly awful.

I'm hoping to buy something secondhand, but I also want to make sure it's the correct thing. Honestly, reading everything about pumps and filters is getting a bit overwhelming. Would any of these work for my pool? (And I know I'll probably have to engineer some adapters to make hoses fit correctly.)

Hayward Pump and Filter I can't tell if it says 0.5 HP or 1.5 HP because there is a bit of debris covering it. I messaged the seller.

22 inch high sand filter with 1 1/2 HP pump

Also, is there a "pool pump/filter 101" that I can read? I've been googling, but everything is just so overwhelming.
    18'X48" Summer Waves 7600 gallons
    1 HP Hayward sand filter/pump combo
    TF100 test kit
    Still have so much learning to do

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are any of these pumps good for my pool?

Looks like mine... Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

3. Back To Top    #3

Is 1 1/2 HP too much for an 18x48?
    18'X48" Summer Waves 7600 gallons
    1 HP Hayward sand filter/pump combo
    TF100 test kit
    Still have so much learning to do

4. Back To Top    #4

It is not so much is it too much pump for your pool, but is it too much pump for your filter? Pumps and filters can be matched using similar gallons per minute ( GPM) or gallons per hour (GPH) ratings. You want a filter with a similar ( or slightly higher GPM/GPH rating). Last year I powered a 25 GPM filter with a 83PGM pump. I blew a spider gasket and covered the pool floor in sand!!
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........