Leaking filter

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
I noticed a little water on my pump/filter pad last evening but it wasn't much. Today I find a small stream of water spewing out of the neck of the filter in a seam, and it is a few inches under the top valve on the filter. I run my pump on low 99% of the time, only on high when I throw some grass in while mowing. My pressure is at 10 psi, and never has got above 12. It is under warranty and I have left the builder a message but not heard back. Is there anything that I should be concerned with while waiting??

PB said they would take care of it soon as they can get one in. In the meantime I have by passed filter and just running straight back to pool. I will switch back and forth from recirculate to filter as needed. Thanks Dave!

You can circulate the water in the pool without filtering forever. You will however have a swamp on your hands sooner than later. Just keep an eye on the chlorine level and adjust as needed to maintain 1-5ppm until the issue is fixed.

Yes it's normal for the filter to swell under pressure.

I have been switching back and forth between recirculate and filter. Circulate for a few hours and filter for a few hours. I am running pump on low, because it wont spew the water out like it does on high. Today is the first time I ever noticed it swell though. Could that have caused the split in the seam. Thanks Joel!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PB is dragging his feet getting out here to replace filter. I've been told the new one is in, they just don't have time to do it. My question is, with a filter that is leaking at seam, cause bubbles to be coming in from the return jets? I've only seen little bubbles when the SWG is on, but now it is all the time, and more of them.

The crack in the filter will cause air bubbles but only a short time after the pump starts up for the day due to the leak draining the water in the filter while the pump is off. After the pump starts the filter is on the pressure side and if there's a leak you'll see water. Excessive or constant air bubbles are from the suction side. This starts at the pump lid and everything forward leading into the pump such as valves, plumbing joints and even the front drain plug on the pump.

Start with the simple things first. Inspect the O-ring on the front drain plug. Lube or replace as needed. If it's bad and you don't have a replacement you can Teflon tape the plug threads to hold you over till you get a replacement. Check the pump lid O-ring, make sure you don't have any dried debris stuck to the underside or in the channel it sits. Stretch it a little bit to see if you see cracks in the rubber or if you get black all over you it's time to replace. After that check all connections and valves if present, people here like the water hose method (have someone run water over the connections while you look at the pool to see if the bubbles stop) I personally like the sound method, prime everything up, let it run for a few minutes then shut off the pump and put your ear to every connection listening for the leak.

GL!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.