Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is reason for weekly timer on pool cleaner ?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is reason for weekly timer on pool cleaner ?

Doing my due diligence before buying a cleaner....

I don't get what weekly timer is ? Is this if you want to leave unit in for a week ?

what is typical way using a robotic cleaner ? You drop it in and then come back couple of hours later and take it out ? Can you drop it in before bed and then take out next morning ?

many thanks.
    25K gal, plaster, 1.0 jandy spa pump, Two 1.5 gallon pool pumps, DE Filter, Glass Tile sheer descent and spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is reason for weekly timer on pool cleaner ?

LOL...I've always wondered about this, too, since most robot manufacturers recommend taking the unit out of the pool once the cleaning cycle is complete.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

3. Back To Top    #3

Geez, I'm so glad someone asked this question, and I hope someone chimes in! What the heck good is a weekly timer if you aren't supposed to leave it in the pool for extended periods?

We are leaving for vacation in 9 days (who's counting), and I'm not planning on leaving my new robot in the pool.

Because mine is brand new and I'm a little obsessed, I just drop mine in after our last swim and then I take it out after it's run it's cycle. But I'm sure it's fine to leave it in overnight. I was warned, however, to not leave the power supply out. It can take a few sprinkles, but it's not waterproof. My set-up is such that I can leave the caddy and power supply in the pool shed, and run the cord and robot out to the pool...
    Rhonda, Outside of Boston, MA
    20k gallon IG gunite circa 1984, very old/stained/worn out plaster finish
    4820 Hayward DE filter, no idea on the pump... will figure that out!, T-100 test kit, Speed Stir is the BOMB!
    *Researching options to refinish Spring 2017!*

4. Back To Top    #4

You guys are spot on. I think the Robot Manufactures are trying to compete with the Pressure/Suction side cleaners that have a pump that run on a timer and those stay in the pool all the time. However, as you know a Robot is a lot more sophisticated then the pressure/suction side cleaners with many more moving parts and seals/o'rings. In my opinion leaving a robot in all the time will most definitely shorten it's lifespan. However, if you were to be gone for a few days and wanted to run a cycle while you were gone or overnight OCASSIONALY I think this is a pretty neat feature. Also as mentioned, the power supply shouldn't be left out in the elements as the heat and rain can damage the internal components. Just my two cents.
    20,500 gallon free form, 6X9 hot tub w/ spillover, 18" jumping platform w/ 3ft shear descent on chopped rock, Travertine coping, 2.5HP Hayward 2-speed filter pump, 525 Hayward Cartridge filter, 350K BTU Hayward NG Heater, 2HP Hayward water feature pump, Satin Matrix Northshore Carribbean, Jandy PDS-8 Controls

5. Back To Top    #5

I really think the timer feature is pointless because my filters are always full after each cycle and they require cleaning. If I don't clean them the robot will not make it through the second cycle. Also, organic matter, especially worms and bugs, quickly rot and stink to high heaven if left in the cleaner whether it's left in the pool or not. As for the power supply, I've always left it outside attached to the caddy with no problems. It gets rained on and watered by the sprinkler system. I just assumed it was water proof. Now I'm worried.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    I really think the timer feature is pointless because my filters are always full after each cycle and they require cleaning. If I don't clean them the robot will not make it through the second cycle. Also, organic matter, especially worms and bugs, quickly rot and stink to high heaven if left in the cleaner whether it's left in the pool or not. As for the power supply, I've always left it outside attached to the caddy with no problems. It gets rained on and watered by the sprinkler system. I just assumed it was water proof. Now I'm worried.
    Definitely not waterproof! When I took the screws out of my Doheny Discovery Power Supply, there is no seal along the edge where the two halves of the case separate. I don't imagine that a little spritz of water would cause a problem, but get direct blasts or submerging the unit will probably kill it pretty quick. It has a lot of electronics inside.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir