Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising Ta without raising pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising Ta without raising pH

Been dealing with the pH rise for a couple if weeks now and it's got my TA down to 70 which I suspect will go lower with the addition of MA to lower the pH. pH was up to 8.0 when I added MA this morning and the TA was 70. I'll measure both again this evening, but in the meantime, is there an ideal was to adjust the TA without affecting the pH?

Diamond Pool 20'x40' Lazy L, approx 33,000 gal vinyl liner, Hayward s244T filter, Pentair Intellichlor Ic 40( new May 2016) replaced computer pool cpsc35, inter mastic T40404R, A.O.Smith UST1152 super pump 1.5 hp, Hayward heater, not working or by-passed, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising Ta without raising pH

The best process is to lower both using acid and then raise pH back using aeration. The process is well documented in POOL SCHOOL.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    The best process is to lower both using acid and then raise pH back using aeration. The process is well documented in POOL SCHOOL.
    Thanks but perhaps I didn't explain well enough. The pH is rising on its own, I suspect it's not being buffered well by the TA because with each new addition of MA, the TA lowers. I want to raise the TA slightly, 80-120 ppm as recommended by the swg and keep the pH in the acceptable range.

Diamond Pool 20'x40' Lazy L, approx 33,000 gal vinyl liner, Hayward s244T filter, Pentair Intellichlor Ic 40( new May 2016) replaced computer pool cpsc35, inter mastic T40404R, A.O.Smith UST1152 super pump 1.5 hp, Hayward heater, not working or by-passed, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest raising your TA using baking soda. Based on your 33,000 gallons, adding 74 ounces of baking soda will raise your TA 10 ppm while only raising your Ph by .02

16 x 36 IG Vinyl, 20,000 gal, chlorine, built 2001
    Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter S210T
    All in with TFP , testing with tf-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Baking Soda raises TA

- - - Updated - - -

Baking Soda raises TA...EDITED: above post covered question
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

6. Back To Top    #6

That's what I planned on doing but wasn't sure how much it would raise pH also. Just didn't want to raise both equally and still have to fight with a high pH and TA. Next question, best way to add the baking soda? broadcast it or sock in front of return?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by themadangler View Post
    Thanks but perhaps I didn't explain well enough. The pH is rising on its own, I suspect it's not being buffered well by the TA because with each new addition of MA, the TA lowers. I want to raise the TA slightly, 80-120 ppm as recommended by the swg and keep the pH in the acceptable range.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Baking soda will raise TA with very little effect on pH.

In 33,000 gallons, 75oz of baking soda will raise TA 10ppm, and pH 0.02

FWIW, don't get too hung up on that TA number. If this were my pool I would push it down to 55-60 to see if my acid consumption decreases. There is no magic number for TA, TA is a slave to pH.

With that said, I wouldn't go below a TA of 55ppm to avoid messing with other chemistry balances (eg CSI).

I would focus on the other sources of pH rise, like anything that aerates the water such as fountains, waterfalls & other water features & try to minimize there as well.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Baking soda will raise TA with very little effect on pH.

In 33,000 gallons, 75oz of baking soda will raise TA 10ppm, and pH 0.02

FWIW, don't get too hung up on that TA number. If this were my pool I would push it down to 55-60 to see if my acid consumption decreases. There is no magic number for TA, TA is a slave to pH.

With that said, I wouldn't go below a TA of 55ppm to avoid messing with other chemistry balances (eg CSI).

I would focus on the other sources of pH rise, like anything that aerates the water such as fountains, waterfalls & other water features & try to minimize there as well.

Dom
    Thanks, but I don't have any water features except kids. I guess they splash too much

9. Back To Top    #9

TA above 80 and a SWG will cause PH to rise. Your TA needs to be between 50 and 80 to slow down PH rise. The mfg has it wrong. I would simply continue to lower your PH as needed to keep it at 7.8 or lower. This will slowly lower your TA. As TA and PH get closer to equilibrium for your pool the PH will rise less. If for some reason your TA drops below 50 and your PH isn't stable then we can address that. I doubt that will happen.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    TA above 80 and a SWG will cause PH to rise. Your TA needs to be between 50 and 80 to slow down PH rise. The mfg has it wrong. I would simply continue to lower your PH as needed to keep it at 7.8 or lower. This will slowly lower your TA. As TA and PH get closer to equilibrium for your pool the PH will rise less. If for some reason your TA drops below 50 and your PH isn't stable then we can address that. I doubt that will happen.
    Thanks. I will keep at it and post up my progress.