Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water purifier

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water purifier

I just saw this on the Costco website,
    has anyone used this before? I will include the pictures from the website thank you

Salt water 28,000 Gal Pool with 1,200 Gal Spa
    Satin Matrix Pebble surface
    Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorinating system, Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump
    Pentair 400,000 BTU heater, Dolphin DX5S Robotic pool cleaner
    750 sq foot Solar Pool Heating, Rock Grotto with waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water purifier

It adds copper and silver ions to your water. Copper is an algaecide but in order to be effective it has to be at a concentration high enough where scaling and staining becomes a problem. It's a waste of money.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the quick reply! I got so happy when I saw this. I figured with my chlorine SWG I would never have to buy anything again!
    Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorinating system, Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

What are you buying now? All I buy is some bleach, salt and muriatic acid.

If you buy that doohickey you will have to buy a copper test kit. Sequestrant added weekly to suspend the copper out of the water so it isn't green. Ascorbic acid to lift the stains from the pool plaster. Polyquat 60 so you don't get algae while doing the AA treatment. And whatever you have to buy to get the green out of hair and fingernails. And you'll just have to live with the green dog for a while.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Kind of interesting that would make it past Costco quality control, they are usually good about not selling items that can cause complaints or mass returns down the road. The sales rep must have had some great white pages when they pitched to Costco.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

6. Back To Top    #6

It will likely work and most people will likely be happy until the copper and silver starts causing issues. It could take a year or more depending on the pool. Then they likely won't attribute it to this device. It's just like those of us (me included) who thought the Nature2 mineral system was the way to go. It also uses copper and silver. Until you start doing your own research, you don't really know what the downsides are. I used the Nature 2 for a year and half with no issues. When I drained the pool for a replaster, I stopped using the nature2 due to the copper and silver it puts in the pool. And the stories of the cartridges rupturing concerned me as well. I have had no issues with just bleach and the water looks much better than when I used the Nature2 and lower chlorine.
    16,500 gallon in-ground pool and spa with Quartzscapes Midnight-blue and pretty sparkles
    Aqualink RS with PDA
    Jandy Pro Series Plus HP 2 HP 2 Speed Pump
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Kind of interesting that would make it past Costco quality control, they are usually good about not selling items that can cause complaints or mass returns down the road. The sales rep must have had some great white pages when they pitched to Costco.
    That's because (A) the product will work as-expected & (B) most people don't know enough and will be pool-stored anyway. The chances of a TFP'er using this product is effectively zero and everyone else will blame their inevitable stains and algae blooms on chlorine. The excuse in their heads will go something like this -

"The ionizer doohickey has all green lights so, duh, it's obviously working! So it must be all this "dirty" chlorine, old sand, bad water, stabilizer not high enough, not enough alkalinity and calcium, the rain must have had algae in it, it's just a "bad algae season", etc, etc, etc..."
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool water purifier

Thanks to you guys I cancelled the order! There were really good Reviews though on the Costco website.