Slam during hot weather

Tfaff

Jan 18, 2016
St Anthony,MN
We are doing our first ever slam on our new AG pool. We had lots of pool use in the hot weather and the fc went down to zero. I noticed the water looked really dull too. So...I am on day eight and was surprised that the OCLT went down from 18.5 to 15.5 last night. The water looks beautiful, it's sparkling away and the dull appearance has disappeared. The CYA was at 40 when I started so I've been working to keep the FC at 16. The first few days I didn't realized I needed to really attack and keep he FC levels up constantly, but I've caught on and now I'm checking levels every hour or two. We're having upper 90's to 100 degrees all week so it's taking a lot of chlorine, I'm using Walmarts chlorinating liquid 10%. So everything looks right to me except the OCLT numbers aren't staying up. Any thoughts? Yesterday the OCLT went down 1.5.

Thoughts - Stairs; if you have them its time to take them out and give them a scrub. Anything else in the water should be pulled out and scrubbed down too. Pool toys can be thrown in the for the high FC to treat. You can also use a cover during the day to protect the FC from the sun if you have one.

You are absolutely on the right track and very close to the end. You are looking for an FC loss of 1.0 or less overnight and you came very close, losing only 1.5. You will probably be there the next time you test.

I might add that you did a great job recognizing the need to keep the FC up. Many, many of our newbies never understand that and "SLAM" for weeks when they are really not SLAMing.

You caught on to that and your SLAM will be very successful.....ridding your pool of ALL organic contaminants and giving you sparkling water.

I have a sand filter and I've been back washing almost daily. It's a brand new pool and filter, just opened six weeks ago, and there never was any visible algae yet. So it's feels so close but hopefully good news tomorrow after an OCLT. :paddle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I'm puzzled. The pool is still sparkling, but at night after the sun goes down, the FC bums way up even though IM adding the right amount of bleach. My SLAM target is 16. Last night it jumped to 28 after the sun went down but still dropped to 25 this morning, UGH. I've been faithfully vacuuming, a brushing. Yesterday I took the stairs out and wrestled with them and scrubbed but they weren't visibly dirty and didn't feel any slime, the entire pool setup is only six weeks old.
Pone thing I'm wondering about today is the weights I'm using for the steps. I used bleach bottles, filled them with pea rock. I rinsed them out to get the dirt out and then filled the rest with a little bleach and hen full with water. BUT, the last two I filled, I forgot the bleach part, I just put these in during the shock, a few days ago. Could they be leaking something out that is still causing problems?

Again, there never was any visible algae before the slam, I just pooped out after having company and got behind on testing a couple days, and the fc dropped to 0.

I did an FC test at supper time, 6-7 pm. I added enough chlorine wanting to get it up to my SLAM goal of 16. Two hours later I test again and it's 28. The next morning it's 25 just before sunrise.

Now I am out of regent, it will be here thurs or Friday. Shoot. Luckily I have the numbers from today so I'll add chlorine like I did today and try to stay on track.

So it's one two things, either your testing is not consistent or your volume estimate of your pool is off. How many gallons are in your pool, are you confident with this? Are you using PoolMath to estimate how much chlorine you are adding? Again, the only way your reaching 28 instead of 16 is that your tests are inconsistent or your pool volume and therefore addition calculations are wrong.

Please:
- post test results at 6-7 pm last night (7/19).
- post volume of chlorine added after test @ 6-7 last night
- confirm test results at 8-9 pm last night (7/19); FC = 28
- confirm test results following morning (7/20); FC = 25
- confirm CYA value of 40 ppm

Thanks.

I've stopped writing data down since his SLAM has taken so much time, and I ran out of regent on 7/20. The refills arrived today so I'm back on track. I'll post tonight. Do I test for CYA and PH during the slam? I tested for cc today and it was .5.
Ill wrap up the evening and post later. The temps have also been upper 90's to 102 this week, so the pool has been gobbling up a lot of chlorine.

Cya at 25 during SLAM. When I started the Slam almost two weeks ago, cya was 40. It is now 25. Pool math says I should add 24 oz of stabilizer. So should I just put it in a sock and wait for it to dissolve? Or when should I start to add chlorine again? I've been adding 1/2 to 1 gallon of chlorine every hour four four days. I attributed it to the 99 degree heat and full sun on the pool. The pool is still sparkling away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.