Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Tech Maintenance: Community Pool Chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Tech Maintenance: Community Pool Chemistry

My obsession with testing has leads me to the conclusion that even though pools are sanitized and kept to a healthy pH by most pool techs. The TA, CYA levels and CH levels are often way off. Our community pool had ZERO CYA, CH of 90, TA of 30, pH of 7.2, FC 15..5, CC <0.5 . The tech had just added chlorine 4 hours earlier.
    I have checked several friends pools and keep finding this problem of CH being super low and TA usually very low also and to some extent the CYA higher than it should be most of the time. Is this common in the industry? Our health department only requires FC, pH, CYA and flow rate readings.
    Is it cheaper to just throw more chlorine in than to add CYA? Baking Soda is cheap; seems they don't want to use that either. Calcium Carbonate is not inexpensive; are they afraid to use it due to the risk of staining/cost?

Your thoughts on the matter are appreciated
    17.5K gal,31'x15' IG plaster, Depth 4'-6', Built 2015, Pump: Jandy Pro Series Model FHPM 2.HP -2-Spd, 88gpm Turnover 3.3 Hrs; Heater: Jandy JE Heat Pump Model 2500T SWCG: Jandy AquaPure Ei Series Mod. Apure35 Max Output Hypochlorous Acid = 420 g of FC per day = 0.2666 ppm per hour; Filter: Jandy Pro Series Model CS 200; Cleaner: Jandy MX8, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006 Salt; Stenner 45M1; City Water:Doral, FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Tech Maintenance: Community Pool Chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by panamax53 View Post
    My obsession with testing has leads me to the conclusion that even though pools are sanitized and kept to a healthy pH by most pool techs. The TA, CYA levels and CH levels are often way off. Our community pool had ZERO CYA, CH of 90, TA of 30, pH of 7.2, FC 15..5, CC <0.5 . The tech had just added chlorine 4 hours earlier.
    I have checked several friends pools and keep finding this problem of CH being super low and TA usually very low also and to some extent the CYA higher than it should be most of the time. Is this common in the industry? Our health department only requires FC, pH, CYA and flow rate readings.
    Is it cheaper to just throw more chlorine in than to add CYA? Baking Soda is cheap; seems they don't want to use that either. Calcium Carbonate is not inexpensive; are they afraid to use it due to the risk of staining/cost?

Your thoughts on the matter are appreciated
    Our methods here apply to residential pool only. Different communities/counties/states have different rules and regulations for public pools, and often require a CPO.

I'll comment on this though.... that 15.5ppm FC to 0ppm CYA ratio is ridiculously high, and would destroy swimsuits in no time, as well as dry out skin, hair, etc.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I read somewhere that a few pool companies don't even use CYA, they simply use more chlorine. Understandable, but why would they keep TA so low at 30? Could that low a level keep the pH at the bottom range of 7.2?
    17.5K gal,31'x15' IG plaster, Depth 4'-6', Built 2015, Pump: Jandy Pro Series Model FHPM 2.HP -2-Spd, 88gpm Turnover 3.3 Hrs; Heater: Jandy JE Heat Pump Model 2500T SWCG: Jandy AquaPure Ei Series Mod. Apure35 Max Output Hypochlorous Acid = 420 g of FC per day = 0.2666 ppm per hour; Filter: Jandy Pro Series Model CS 200; Cleaner: Jandy MX8, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006 Salt; Stenner 45M1; City Water:Doral, FL.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would be less concerned about the TA at this point. That is a ridiculous (potentially unsafe?) level of chlorine with a true zero CYA. Is it possible the CYA is in the 20-30 range, but you just can't read it? Because that would make a lot more sense.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pucks and trichlor are acidic and drive down PH and TA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Also low CH does not matter unless the pool is plaster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!