Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Our sand filter usually reads at 20 clean. We're mid-SLAM, and I added about 1 c of DE 2 days ago bumping from 21 to 22 where it stood pretty steady that day & when I checked it a few times yesterday. I just checked this morning, and it's at 28. My husband it usually the backwasher since we need to hoist 200 ft of hose over a fence etc etc - and of course he won't be home for another 10 hrs.

1.) is it safe to wait until he gets home tonight to do this? That's about 10 hrs from now
2.) should I be concerned that it seems to have risen so quickly? I was keeping an eye on it over the 24 hr window after adding the DE, and it seemed fine. In fact the morning after I added DE it had gone back down to the 21 it was at before I added.

I don't want to break anything with too high of pressure, I don't want to turn off the filter since we're mid-SLAM and maybe starting to see actual progress, but I really don't think I'm able to backwash myself unless you all REALLY REALLY think I need to give it a try...

For the record, so far pool ownership has been a PITA :(

1.) is it safe to wait until he gets home tonight to do this? That's about 10 hrs from now - I don't think it is unsafe, just really inefficient as long as you have some flow from your returns. Your flow from your returns is probably noticeably less than normal. If flow stops altogether, I would either backwash or shut off the pump. You could try shutting off the pump for a few minutes then restarting. Sometimes this will lower mine a few #'s albeit just for a short time.
2.) should I be concerned that it seems to have risen so quickly? No, this is typical with DE. I was keeping an eye on it over the 24 hr window after adding the DE, and it seemed fine. In fact the morning after I added DE it had gone back down to the 21 it was at before I added. It probably rose quickly now as more and more algae was filtered. Nothing filters better than a dirty filter layered with DE ;)

Good luck

So long as it's not going to explode, I think I'll leave it for my husband to deal with tonight. Is there a certain pressure increase that does become potentially dangerous?

Your filter is likely rated for 50 psi and your plumbing is that much or higher, so both are fine. It is like putting your finger over the end of your garden hose as flow reduces pressure increases. The gunk in your filter is like your finger restricting the water moving thru the system. The stress is actually put on your pump, which is spinning but not moving much water. It is not good to deadhead (stop flow of) a pump. How is the flow, is water still coming out of the returns decent?

One easy option is to shut off the pump and turn the handle on the top (or side) of the filter to recirculate then turn it back on. This bypasses the filter but will maintain circulation until he can backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.