Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump stops working

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump stops working

My pump will work great for about 30 min and then it stops and is extremely hot to the touch. It will stay off for a bit and then goes right back to work. It will do this the entire time its on. I have taken the impeller off and looked for debris and there is nothing in there and the wires are all connected. Any advice?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump stops working

Hello and welcome to TFP! No doubt heat is the culprit. Something's not right. Please help folks answer your question by providing the following info:
    - Make/model of pump
    - Est date of install/age of pump
    - How long has it been running hot and cutting-off?
    - How is water flow when the pump is running (always primed)?
    - What is you current electrical set-up (110/220V)?
    - Can you upload a pic of your pump and perhaps the wiring at the back of the pump?

Others may have additional questions/comments. This might help get you started though.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like it could be the run capacitor to me.... It's easy to change and should be about $15 from Amazon or Grainger.
    25k I G plaster pool w/spa. 2.2HP Century Centurion switchless motor. COMPOOL lx3800. Pentair FNS Plus DE FILTER 60sq/ft.
    Houston, TX - direct sunlight 8 hours a day.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a Hayward pump. Instaled a year ago February. Water flow is good when it's running and doesn't lose its prime. image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24000 gal in ground pool sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

A little for any motor experts out there who may want to reply.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you able to turn the shaft? Does it turn easily? Smoothly? Might be the bearings. Was the shaft seal replaced when the motor was replaced? Excess heat is the death of motors.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

When I take it apart I can spin the impeller and it is smooth and easy. I bought the house last year and the pump was replaced right before I moved in.

8. Back To Top    #8

Has it done this entire time its been installed? Is it wired for 115 or 220?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

My pump will work great for about 30 min and then it stops and is extremely hot to the touch.
    This is more indicative of bad bearings. The motor is a capacitor start so if the capacitor was bad, it would just not start.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Can I replace the bearings myself?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by woskie70 View Post
    My pump will work great for about 30 min and then it stops and is extremely hot to the touch. It will stay off for a bit and then goes right back to work. It will do this the entire time its on. I have taken the impeller off and looked for debris and there is nothing in there and the wires are all connected. Any advice?
    have you ever seen it working normally?

your motor's thermal protection trips and that turns off the motor- it tries to save itself. After cooling off the protection resets and the cycle repeats. The cause is overheat of the motor. It often happens from capacitor going bad provided pump runs normal otherwise: shaft spins freely, no additional noise, water passes through as usual, etc.

I have to take that back- in your case capacitor is only used during start process (start capacitor) and if internal switch operates as intended it should be disconnected as soon as shaft reaches certain speed so it cannot be responsible for motor overheat: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...-overview.aspx Purely theoretically the overheat can be caused by:
    - mechanical issue (bearings, rust, etc) preventing shaft from spinning freely
    - that switch got stuck and doesn't disconnect capacitor when the motor gains speed
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by woskie70 View Post
    Can I replace the bearings myself?
    You can if you have the tools and the know how. There are many videos on youtube that can show you how.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

I took the motor off the pump and found out the ground wire is connected to the number 1 wire post with a hot wire. And the second hot wire is dead coming from my timer. I have 3 hot wires coming from my electrical panel to the timer but only one goes hot to the pump motor. I'm guessing i need a new timer and to hook the wires up correctly

14. Back To Top    #14

The motor was replaced a year ago and it looks all corroded like that already?

Might be good to figure out a way to protect it from the elements for longevity.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

My neighbors tree hangs over the filter and pump and this year a bird built a nest right above it

16. Back To Top    #16

How are you testing, with a multi-meter or a non contact tester?

A non contact tester (the kind that lights up when held to the wire) is not reliable for testing, it will not tell you voltage and can show phantom voltage on wires with no power. You must use a multi-meter so you can properly test voltage. Your pump may be wired for 240v, you absolutely cannot tell whether you have 240v or just 2 hot wires without actually measuring the voltage. A 240 volt motor trying to operate on 120 will run, usually at less than full speed, sometimes it's hard to tell. It will get hot and trip the thermal protection. Looks like your motor can be wired to use either voltage, but requires changes depending on what voltage is provided.

In a 240v setup it is possible for your timer to interrupt only one hot wire, It is acceptable to start and stop a 240v motor that way. This means power is going to the motor even when the timer is off, so you must be very careful when testing this setup. Testing each lead separately will not work, you must test across the leads to confirm you have power from both phases and actually have 240v.

A 240v motor only needs two hot wires providing 240v to operate, it does not need a neutral but the timer or other controls may operate at 120v which could require the neutral. For safety a 240v motor should always be bonded with the green ground wire, but will still run without having that connected.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Have you cleaned the air vents on the motor?
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

18. Back To Top    #18

I will have to figure out how to do that

19. Back To Top    #19

So I tested with a multi-meter and got 115 from one wire and .1 from the second wired going from my timer to my pump. I also checked the air vents and they are clear.