Test kit

Pete23

Jun 26, 2016
Michigan
I want to get a test kit but I do not which one to invest in. On the site the kaylor 2006 and tf 100 have been recommended, but neighbors are telling me that the Lamotte colorq pro 7 test kit 2056 is alot better. Any advice on the value and quality of a couple different quality test kits?

Yes, stick with either the taylor K-2006 or the TF-100. If you read in the archives here you'll see folks aren't terribly happy with the ColorQ.

The most important aspect of the testing kits we trust is that they come with drop tests, in particular the FAS-DPD test for chlorine and CC up to 50ppm. If you ever have a problem with algae you need a tester that goes higher than the standard 5ppm or 10ppm at the most.

Homework: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

What Texas Splash said and add on XL option.........Keep your kit indoors and the chemicals will last a very long time in controlled temperature environment.

I'm going to order the TF100 test kit, but because I'm in Canada, not really close to a border, I want to make sure I'm getting everything I need in one trip. Do the reagents last long? Could I order refills and they would still be good to use next season? Do I need a speedstir? (I've never done my own testing, not even sure what it is). Anything else I should consider buying? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In Canada, you cannot direct ship a TF100 to you. Lowry and associates has a monopoly on selling Taylor reagents.

The only way to get a TF100 is to ship it to a mail drop in a USA border town, and you go pick it up.

I would suggest a SpeedStir. It does make my testing much easier.

Take care.

Yes, I am shipping it to a mail drop box and picking it up. That's why I want to make sure I order everything I need. Will the reagents be good next year if I order refills? I will also order the SpeedStir. Can you suggest anything else I might need? Thanks for your input.

Great! Typically the things I order the most are CYA reagent, FAS-DPD, and pH reagent.

The items in the kit will last 2 years from an expiration standpoint. So I would suggest only getting extra of the above. If you order the TF100 XL it will have the extra FAS-DPD reagents. You would need to order an extra bottle for CYA and the pH.

Call them at TFTestkits.net. Your situation is a little unique so would be better than ordering over the internet.

Take care.

Note: the reagents officially "expire" in 12 months. That is what Taylor states and what tftestkit.net will warranty ... although many of us have used some much older than that without issue.

Note: the reagents officially "expire" in 12 months. That is what Taylor states and what tftestkit.net will warranty ... although many of us have used some much older than that without issue.

Did not know that! I had heard 2 years -- thank you Jason!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.