changing location of pool pump can I have 180 degree bend in pvc pipe feeding pump

Good evening.

I just purchased a new pump (
Badu EcoMV 2.4 HP Pool Pump (EcoMV/72-V) ) and realized the pump control is attached to the motor and can not be relocated or reversed. So I want to reverse my pump so my motor is in the front compared to the way it is now (pictured attached ) Can I have a 180 degree bend in my PVC pipe that feeds the pump? If I cannot do a 180 bend can I do some plumbing with some 90 degree connections to accomplish this? I know that would take up much more area. how much of a straight shot to the pump do I need or straight piece between the 90 degree bends?

I hope this makes sense?

20160718_181605.jpg

Yeh it makes sense to me cause I have a very similar pump. I located mine at the front of the pad so I could get at the controls easily.

The extra fittings will add a bit of head loss (friction loss), so decide how you want it located, then just try to use the fewest possible fittings. You'll be reducing friction loss quite a bit by running lower flow, so this becomes less of an issue.

Straight run into the pump needn't be all that much because pool pumps have the strainer basket in front of the impeller. The straight run to the impeller is a standard thing to do with conventional centrifugal pumps that has carried over into manuals for pool pumps, and most people see it as a mistaken example of the need. It's nice to have enough room for a barrel union (pipe union) on the pump though; perhaps it came with one. Even without the need, personally I'd leave 4 or 5 pipe diameters so I have room for repairs and changes.

If you want to get fancy, pause and google or call Speck pumps. There may be an adapter kit or a wall mount remote for that pump. Here's an example for the EcoM3 http://usa.speck-pumps.com/wp-content/themes/SpeckPumps/pdf/Badu Eco Touch II_manual_US.pdf

Or you could save those dollars and buy a full system controller that can interface to your pump, and other components.

I almost bought the local equivalent for the EcoM3 so somehow that stuck in the old cranium! Good luck with your project.

Yeh it makes sense to me cause I have a very similar pump. I located mine at the front of the pad so I could get at the controls easily.

The extra fittings will add a bit of head loss (friction loss), so decide how you want it located, then just try to use the fewest possible fittings. You'll be reducing friction loss quite a bit by running lower flow, so this becomes less of an issue.

Straight run into the pump needn't be all that much because pool pumps have the strainer basket in front of the impeller. The straight run to the impeller is a standard thing to do with conventional centrifugal pumps that has carried over into manuals for pool pumps, and most people see it as a mistaken example of the need. It's nice to have enough room for a barrel union (pipe union) on the pump though; perhaps it came with one. Even without the need, personally I'd leave 40 or 5 pipe diameters so I have room for repairs and changes.

If you want to get fancy, pause and google or call Speck pumps. There may be an adapter kit or a wall mount remote for that pump. Here's an example for the EcoM3 http://usa.speck-pumps.com/wp-content/themes/SpeckPumps/pdf/Badu Eco Touch II_manual_US.pdf

Or you could save those dollars and buy a full system controller that can interface to your pump, and other components.

I almost bought the local equivalent for the EcoM3 so somehow that stuck in the old cranium! Good luck with your project.

HI Needsajet, Thanks for the heads up and it helps a lot. I want to install my new pump so I can start benefiting from the savings. Also thanks for the suggestions to look to see if they have a remote control for the wall that would make it so much easier.

They actually make PVC U bends. FlexPVC has them in stock. The 1½" is ~4¼" center to center and the 2" is ~4½" center to center.

Using long sweep 90's would work. Even regular 90's wouldn't add a lot of head to the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.