Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hose lifespan?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fremont OH

hose lifespan?

I'm on my second summer with my pool. How long do the hoses from the pump to the filter last?

I want to hard plumb eventually, but I'm having trouble deciding on if I want to heat it, and whether I want solar or propane. Another question for another day.

Should I be fine with the hoses till next year? How often do you replace yours? I had a hose pop off earlier this summer, but I think it was a clamp issue more than a hose issue.

2. Back To Top    #2
    North Ogden, UT

Re: hose lifespan?

Guess it kinda depends on the manufacturing of the hose.. I got my new Hayward system about 2 months ago and had a hose split... Changed it out to one from my old Tagelus system (10+ years old) and its works great... Just make it part of your inspection and have an extra on hand just incase
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

3. Back To Top    #3

Montville NJ

You should easily get more than a season out of them. Put them away in the winter as well. I have hoses around here that have to be over 10 years old. OF course I don't use them, as I hard plumbed my pool, but the hoses are still in storage and viable.

27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

4. Back To Top    #4

I recently went on vacation and came home to a half empty pool. One of the return hoses had cracked and I managed to pump half the water out of the pool apparently. Luckily it wasn't totally drained.

This is I believe my 4th summer with the pool. I've always disconnected everything and stored them in the garage. Should probably have stored them indoors as it gets butt cold here. So I have to imagine replacing the hoses is relatively inexpensive. I would give your hoses 2-3 seasons and then replace to be safe.
    24 ft. above ground pool, 13,500 gallons, installed summer 2013
    Cartridge Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX pump
    Main drain
    5 happy swimming children
    NW Indiana