newly resurfaced plaster - trouble with pump

Jul 18, 2016
jackson, ca
Hi everyone - I am new to the forum! Our family has a small pool with newly resurfaced plaster. The plaster was finished on July 8th & we've been brushing the pool everyday to remove plaster dust. Our startup instructions were passed along to the local pool center that has been regularly taking care of this pool since prior to the resurfacing and before we were living at this house. We have been aware of the fact that the filter on our pump would need cleaning and changing often due to the new plastering. The pool center didn't follow the startup instructions from the pool resurfacing contractor 100%....however, we were assured that they were on top of things. Well, I am new to having a pool, so I've had to trust the professionals while I have been reading about pool maintenance online. We have been watching our pump's pressure which has been running high....at about 30 ppi. The way it goes is my wife calls the pool center when the pressure is high and they remove the filter, clean it and return it to the pump casing. Yesterday, someone came to & pulled out the filter, rinsed it and put it back but was unable to start the motor back up. It was primed, but no luck in getting it going. I was told that we probably need a new motor/pump now. Someone else came out today while we were gone and got the pump running again, but we are not sure that he put a filter back in and we won't hear from them until tomorrow. This isn't my expertise....Will there be a problem running this pump without a filter given the fact that there is still plaster dust in the pool? Thanks for any help with this. We'd like to get the kids swimming in the pool, it has been out of commission for a while now.

Welcome to TFP!

Is the cartridge near the filter? They most likely put it back in. Would they take it with them? If the cartridge isn't in there and you have any equipment after the filter like an SWG or a heater it is best to leave it off.