Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Tight Systems Metal Trap Pre-Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Tight Systems Metal Trap Pre-Filters

Has anybody tried these? Are they worth the money? If I am introducing metals in my fill water, I really need to take corrective action next year after closing/opening.

https://www.amazon.com/WATER-TIGHT-S...+TIGHT+SYSTEMS
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Tight Systems Metal Trap Pre-Filters

Do they work? The consensus on this forum if you search around is yes they work. Will they remove all the metal in your fill water? Probably not.

That is why on Amazon its sold paired with a metal sequestratant. If you have metals this will get out some if not most but it won't remove all.

Search around there are several recent threads with less expensive homebrew solutions.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

I went ahead and ordered one. If it removes "most" of the metals, say 51%, that would be a big improvement.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Don't expect great results. How much they remove depends on how much you have. Mechanical metal filters almost always lack capacity.....despite the claims they might espouse
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Incorporates New"Filtration Media Materials" to Trap Metals
    Not the least bit cryptic and instills nothing but confidence in the quality of the product

Do let us know how it works though, assuming you have some way to verify whether it has decreased the amount of iron in the water.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Not the least bit cryptic and instills nothing but confidence in the quality of the product

Do let us know how it works though, assuming you have some way to verify whether it has decreased the amount of iron in the water.
    Well what options do I have? My last water test showed zero metals in the pool water. The test can apparently be thrown off by a variety of factors. The fill water is city water, which I haven't tested yet. So I don't know if it is iron, copper, or what. But I had horrific dark metal stains on 100% of the liner and the skimmer and stairs and it took many pounds of citric acid to make a dent in it and weeks to recover from that. Now I have to do $50 of sequestrant a month or it starts to come back.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Well what options do I have?
    None that are great. A "dark" stain is not normally iron. It is not clear to me how you identified it? All indicators are that it is metal.....copper almost never gets in the pool unless you put it there through chemistry or you have low pH and it erodes a heater.

Assuming you have metal, you have to identify and cure the source. City water shouldn't be it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Have your city water tested for metals. If it has any straight out of the tap they should be able to identify it. Also check for manganese, it leaves a dark stain.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!