Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Things were going so well...

1. Back To Top    #1

Things were going so well...

Hey all. I had my pool very nicely balanced per TFP saltwater guidelines. I just got back from a week vacation, and now my FC will no longer hold. Test results:

FC 0.5
    CC 0
    CYA 70
    TA 100
    CH 250
    pH 7.6

Pump is running the same as it was all summer to this point. My swg was at 60% but was losing 1ppm FC net daily, so I kicked it up to maintain 5 FC. That was before a week away. Now I can't hold my FC despite kicking the swg to 100% and bumping the pump run time up to 16 hours (waaaay longer than I was before). I was concerned about too much organic burning thru the FC, but there's no CC either. The cover has been on about 10 straight days at this point. The water is still clear, but I see algae in my future.... Soon. Any insight? I'm puzzled.

/ 24k Gal, 18x36 Freeform IG Vinyl Saltwater / Sta-Rite MPRA6E-205L 1HP Pump / Sta-Rite System:3 Cartridge Filter / IC-40 SWCG / Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner / TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir / Taylor K-1766 Salt Test /
    Useful Links: Recommended Levels / SLAM / FC/CYA Chart / Test Kits Compared / Edit Your Signature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Things were going so well...

A SWG will not raise the FC from 0 if anything is in the water ... it is too slow. That is why you should use bleach to raise the FC (and the SWG will eventually maintain it).

Likely you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, just puzzled that it was seeming to maintain ~5 FC prior to my being away, and I returned to 2 yesterday, and 0.5 FC today. I guess I'll go get some bleach. And then possibly SLAM.

/ 24k Gal, 18x36 Freeform IG Vinyl Saltwater / Sta-Rite MPRA6E-205L 1HP Pump / Sta-Rite System:3 Cartridge Filter / IC-40 SWCG / Dolphin Nautilus Cleaner / TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir / Taylor K-1766 Salt Test /
    Useful Links: Recommended Levels / SLAM / FC/CYA Chart / Test Kits Compared / Edit Your Signature

4. Back To Top    #4

With a CYA of 70, it will be a fun SLAM.

5. Back To Top    #5

I SLAMed at 70 last summer, it isn't bad. Once you get FC up to 28 your daily burn rate is actually lower because the FC is better protected from the sun. Bright side!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Tks, pooldv. I noticed quite a bit of organic material at the bottom after the week away. Going to sweep and SLAM and see if the pool "resets".