Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG - Post Algea Outbreak - ZERO FC

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG - Post Algea Outbreak - ZERO FC

I don't know what to do at this specific point since I have NO chlorine in the pool this evening after doing this. Yesterday I realized I had Algea problem. I'm new so I kind of messed things up from the get-go with the SWG. I apparently was only running the pump and never turned on the SWG for a week! (Obviously too little too late to treat any kind of Algea.) Sooooo...I added a bunch of bleach yesterday afternoon and some borax and some baking soda last night (according to the Poolmath calculator). I added a couple cups of 8.25% bleach today.

Only the pump is running right now, no SWG, however it HAD been running non-stop for the past 2 days. The filter is clean/white. I kept switching them out and cleaning them.

Here are my results tonight:
    TH: 100
    FC: 0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 150
    Cya: 30-50 (even though I've never put ANY CYA or stabilizer in) I'm just learning about this stuff starting yesterday!!!!
    Salt: 3000

I just don't know what to do TONIGHT, if anything. I don't want to guess and mess it up. The water is clear now, but the bottom of the pool is greenISH although it can't be brushed away or anything, almost like it is stained. I don't know.

I have all the stuff I need on hand I think: 8.25% bleach, baking soda, borax, pH down, and Chlorine stabilizer.

Thank you and God Bless this site!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    First Time Pool Owner (2nd year) in Western Massachusetts - Intex 5300 gallon 15"x48" AG with an Intex 120v Krystal Clear Pump and Saltwater System - Set up and filled on 7/2/17 - Test Kit: Taylor K-2006, Aquachek Salt Test Strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG - Post Algea Outbreak - ZERO FC

Welcome to TFP!!!

What you report is exactly why test strips are worthless. We can not really offer any advice until you can post reliable test results.

Add about 1/4 bottle of bleach everyday until you have a good test kit, then post up the full set of number. You will likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

OR

Just drain and refill and follow the Temporary/Seasonal Pool Guide.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah yes. The test kit. Got it. I'll order that right now. Thank you!!
    First Time Pool Owner (2nd year) in Western Massachusetts - Intex 5300 gallon 15"x48" AG with an Intex 120v Krystal Clear Pump and Saltwater System - Set up and filled on 7/2/17 - Test Kit: Taylor K-2006, Aquachek Salt Test Strips

4. Back To Top    #4

Got my test kit and got my test results!! Haven't added bleach or chlorine since the 19th, pool has been covered for the previous 2 days, and the water is practically clear, except for the slight green tint that doesn't go away or come off with brushing. I don't know what's giving that green-ish overall color.
    The good news is before today, with it being covered and the saltwater system on, it seemed to be working.

Pool was uncovered today, partially sunny, hot, humid day, and people swam in it.

Not sure what to do now at this point. These results were taken an hour ago 7:30 pm.

FC: 0.4
    CC: 0.2
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 140
    CH: 75ppm
    CYA: 0
    Salt: 3000

Outside temp ranges from 50s at night, 90s during the day. Pool is in full sun from 8am to 2pm. Water temp is roughly 86 degrees.

Thank you!!

5. Back To Top    #5

You doing ok get your FC and CYA up, CYA will save your FC.

Levels here @ Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

The color could be algae or could be metals.

You need to add 30ppm of CYA and them follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to ensure there is nothing lingering in the water.

After the 3 criteria are passed to end the SLAM, them we can adjust the water for the SWG to take over.

Use 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so each drop is 0.5ppm. That is precise enough and saves on reagent.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do! Thank you so much. I won't be able to get to do anything with it until Sunday however.

I'll check back in after I go to "school" and do my "homework".

Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. Here are today's numbers, I have YET to add CYA because I'm not sure about swimming after adding it, and I want to swim today so I will wait until later and more advice to do that.

Water Temp: 86
    Air Temp: 88
    The Filter is staying relatively white compare to do before.
    Water is 90-95% clear I'd say.
    FC: 4.0
    CC: 0.5
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 140
    CH: 50
    CYA: 0

SWG is running at 6 hours 7am-1pm daily.

I have a feeling there's something I must do to tweak it so that it's even more clear and stable.
    ALSO, HOW EXACTLY SHOULD I ADD CYA to an Intex Easy Set Up pool with no skimmer? Do I pre-dissolve? Pour it all in? Stick it in a knee-high??? What time of day??

Thanks again for everyone's help on here. ��

Niki

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

You can safely swim while adding CYA. Put it in a sock and hang the sock over the side in front of the return. Tie it to a brick or something if you need to.

Without CYA in your water, a SWG doesn't make chlorine fast enough to keep up with how fast the sun burns it off. For a saltwater pool, you want your CYA in the 70-80 range.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    You can safely swim while adding CYA. Put it in a sock and hang the sock over the side in front of the return. Tie it to a brick or something if you need to.

Without CYA in your water, a SWG doesn't make chlorine fast enough to keep up with how fast the sun burns it off. For a saltwater pool, you want your CYA in the 70-80 range.

All set!! Took care of it at around 1:00 today and then got in the pool. I put 21oz (by volume) of dry stabilizer in a knee-high and hung it over the side. I'll run the pump by itself for 24 hours.

1) When should I test again? (Tonight, tomorrow morning, both)
    2) How many hours should I be running my SWG per day under hot and sunny conditions and at what time of day?

11. Back To Top    #11

UH OH!!! I don't know what happened. Is this normal after adding CYA? I just tested for FC and I couldn't get the 10ml sample to turn pink!!! I put in 12 dippers of R-0870 and nothing, so I just stopped and came in here to ask if it was normal. I took the sample directly across the pool from where the CYA is in the sock and I took it 18 inches down. I put the CYA in at 1pm and I took the sample at 8:30pm tonight. I just finally got the FC up to a good level and now it disappeared again!!! Bummer.

12. Back To Top    #12

Remember, your SWG is only for keeping FC at the right level, not getting to the right level. Start by adding bleach to the correct amount and then run the SWG to hold that level.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

Oooooh....so the FC wasn't high enough first to allow for the CYA? I didn't realize the CYA would take down the FC level, I thought it was put in the water to help KEEP the chlorine levels stable. Yikes.

14. Back To Top    #14

There is never a need to add more than 4 2 dippers of powder for the FAS-DPD test.

Adding CYA will not lower the FC.

Edited: no idea how I accidentally wrote 4 instead of 2.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

What Griswald was to add bleach to get your FC up to target quickly because it will take the SWG too long to get it there. Which will leave your FC too low for too long to keep your pool sanitary. FC should always be above minimum you keep the pool sanitized, FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

As far as the dippers, it says to keep adding until it turns pink. But I get it, if there's no FC, there's no FC, no amount of that stuff will make the sample turn pink. Going out to test right now. 6:30am.

17. Back To Top    #17

FC is 4.5ppm, CC is barely .5.

CYA is totally dissolved and I had added 30oz of 8.25% bleach per the Calculator last night.

Hopefully the CYA will now help maintain the FC. I will keep testing and addin bleach as necessary when FC levels go down. I'll get this eventually!!! Thanks.

18. Back To Top    #18

You done good!

Now, just keep the FC up with the SWG any you are golden!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG