What's the grossest thing you've found in your pool?

basod

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2015
Mount Cheaha Alabama
Apologies if this topic exists somewhere already.

I removed what I determined was a horsehair worm from my skimmer basket today - looks like a long thin parasitic worm that apparently hatch from beetles/crickets when they hit water - not harmful to pets/humans but freaky to find in a pool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematomorpha

This got me remembering all the crazy things I've scooped from my pool over the past 10yrs.

Year 2 my GF awoke me one morning after my newly adopted Lab/mix had killed a bunny rabbit - later that morning I was skimming the pool(mind you after working a nightshift) and there is a strange tubular looking organism in the deep end - thought I had some crazy organism.. it was the bunny rabbit intestines from my dogs joyful dismemberment of the rabbit being slung into the pool.

Couple years later during cover removal from winterization a floating stinking blob - resembled a squirrel that may have tried to get under the cover and drowned - stink has no meaning for this

Mid summer a few years ago thought I glanced out the sliding door and said to myself "A turtle in the pool" NOPE a drowned Armadillo. Needless to say the shock levels were probably in excess of SLAM recommendations here as I know Armadillos are the only animal known to carry Leprosy.

So anyone else have some funky findings?

So....did you cook that rabbit for dinner / stew?? ;-)

Since this is my first year as a pool owner, no funky stuff...just two mouse and a bird - and I don't remove the "removable" fence around the pool even though we don't need it

I don't think there was much left but the head and bunny ears that my GF was holding onto when she woke me that morning - and I'm not the type of guy that gets grossed out by much of anything.
Those intestines in the pool had me boggled for a bit until I put my foggy haze of awakening to a rabbit head and 3 hrs later finding the wormy looking thing in the pool together.

Mice and moles are standard floating fare here after a rain, the ant's take care of them once dumped over the railing

Turtles, rats, mice, skinks, lizards, snakes, moles, voles, giant catapillar looking things (this weekend), frogs..........trying to think if I've missed anything. I'll check with hubby. Once the shallow end floor was COVERED with dead worms of some sort.....that was interesting.

The rodents are the worst. One met his/her demise and got stuck on the weir door. It took serious manhandling (with rubber gloves on) to get it off and even then there was a tuft of hair (skin and hair) that had to be brushed off that weir door.

Yuk. Especially on the armadillo.

Giant desert centipede. Nasty creatures, worse than scorpions in my opinion. Thankfully it was dead. Second place goes to a tarantula.

This it not gross but sweet- I rescued a baby fawn one Saturday afternoon 3-4 years ago. He or she was a pretty good swimmer but my Jack Russell wouldn't let it get out until I put the dog up. The deer got to the pool after he squeezed through the metal pool fence to get away from our larger dog. The fawn let me reach down and physically pick it up out of the water in the deep end. I carried it to our pool house and let him calm down before he got up and walked away into the woods. His body was so delicate and you could tell that he was thankful for my assistance. This was a really COOL experience that I will always remember.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Smoke lawn I like the link, Before you do any of the following you must dress up like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack when he found the Baby Ruth..... Drained the Pool

Follow these steps to remove the animal and disinfect the water:

Close the pool to swimmers.
Put on disposable gloves.
Use a net or bucket to remove the dead animal from the pool.
Double bag the animal in plastic garbage bags.
Clean off any debris or dirt from the item used to remove the dead animal.
Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags.
Close the garbage bags and place them in a sealed trash can to help keep wild animals away from the dead animal.
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately.
Raise the free chlorine concentration to, or maintain it at, 2 parts per million (ppm); maintain the pH levels at 7.5 or less; keep the temperature at 77°F (25°C) or higher. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for 30 minutes.
Confirm that the filtration system is operating properly during this time.
Disinfect the item used to remove the dead animal by immersing it in the pool during the 30 minute disinfection time.

A Red Belly Water snake that was playing hide & seek in my return eyeball. And the remains of a very pesky raccoon (I'm pretty sure that is what it was) that had gotten under the winter cover. Not much was left of it.

Lmao at the kids comment.

Grossest thing "stuff" for me so far had to be worm poop. And I'm talking lots of worm poop. Little buggars are loaded in the pecan trees surrounding the pool and with any wind their poop is in the pool and every morning there's a large pile on the bottom in the center of the pool.

I use a skimmer sock so when vacuuming it collects all that nastiness from entering the filter. It's usually about a tennis ball size of poo after vacuuming.

This thread freaked me the heck out. I am thanking my lucky stars that I live in Maine. I get little beetles in my pool....that's about it. Oh, and the occasional dead bumble bee. :cool: If I got ANY of those things in my pool, I would not own a pool. In fact, If I lived any place that those creatures even existed, I would move away. CREEEEPY! haha

This thread freaked me the heck out. I am thanking my lucky stars that I live in Maine. I get little beetles in my pool....that's about it. Oh, and the occasional dead bumble bee. :cool: If I got ANY of those things in my pool, I would not own a pool. In fact, If I lived any place that those creatures even existed, I would move away. CREEEEPY! haha

I'm with Mimi... Only I'm in Texas. Therefore it's my husband's job forever forward to clean the skimmer baskets. [emoji23] I'm just grateful half these pictures didn't show up for me and I didn't have to see something I couldn't unsee! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.