Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the grossest thing you've found in your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the grossest thing you've found in your pool?

Apologies if this topic exists somewhere already.

I removed what I determined was a horsehair worm from my skimmer basket today - looks like a long thin parasitic worm that apparently hatch from beetles/crickets when they hit water - not harmful to pets/humans but freaky to find in a pool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematomorpha

This got me remembering all the crazy things I've scooped from my pool over the past 10yrs.

Year 2 my GF awoke me one morning after my newly adopted Lab/mix had killed a bunny rabbit - later that morning I was skimming the pool(mind you after working a nightshift) and there is a strange tubular looking organism in the deep end - thought I had some crazy organism.. it was the bunny rabbit intestines from my dogs joyful dismemberment of the rabbit being slung into the pool.

Couple years later during cover removal from winterization a floating stinking blob - resembled a squirrel that may have tried to get under the cover and drowned - stink has no meaning for this

Mid summer a few years ago thought I glanced out the sliding door and said to myself "A turtle in the pool" NOPE a drowned Armadillo. Needless to say the shock levels were probably in excess of SLAM recommendations here as I know Armadillos are the only animal known to carry Leprosy.

So anyone else have some funky findings?
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's the grossest thing you've found in your pool?

Threads like these pop up from time to time. Its always grossly entertaining!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So....did you cook that rabbit for dinner / stew??

Since this is my first year as a pool owner, no funky stuff...just two mouse and a bird - and I don't remove the "removable" fence around the pool even though we don't need it
    25,000 Gal, in-ground w/ vinyl liner
    Hayward SP2303VSP (1.5 HP) / DE filter (4820)
    Aqua Rite SWG / T-CELL-9 (v1.5)
    Polaris 380, PB4-60 Booster Pump (post-2012) / Aqua Heat Pump (S95)
    TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by hoskim View Post
    So....did you cook that rabbit for dinner / stew??

Since this is my first year as a pool owner, no funky stuff...just two mouse and a bird - and I don't remove the "removable" fence around the pool even though we don't need it
    I don't think there was much left but the head and bunny ears that my GF was holding onto when she woke me that morning - and I'm not the type of guy that gets grossed out by much of anything.
    Those intestines in the pool had me boggled for a bit until I put my foggy haze of awakening to a rabbit head and 3 hrs later finding the wormy looking thing in the pool together.

Mice and moles are standard floating fare here after a rain, the ant's take care of them once dumped over the railing
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Turtles, rats, mice, skinks, lizards, snakes, moles, voles, giant catapillar looking things (this weekend), frogs..........trying to think if I've missed anything. I'll check with hubby. Once the shallow end floor was COVERED with dead worms of some sort.....that was interesting.

The rodents are the worst. One met his/her demise and got stuck on the weir door. It took serious manhandling (with rubber gloves on) to get it off and even then there was a tuft of hair (skin and hair) that had to be brushed off that weir door.

Yuk. Especially on the armadillo.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Giant desert centipede. Nasty creatures, worse than scorpions in my opinion. Thankfully it was dead. Second place goes to a tarantula.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

KIDS!!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    KIDS!!!
    THAT is hilarious!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

9. Back To Top    #9

This it not gross but sweet- I rescued a baby fawn one Saturday afternoon 3-4 years ago. He or she was a pretty good swimmer but my Jack Russell wouldn't let it get out until I put the dog up. The deer got to the pool after he squeezed through the metal pool fence to get away from our larger dog. The fawn let me reach down and physically pick it up out of the water in the deep end. I carried it to our pool house and let him calm down before he got up and walked away into the woods. His body was so delicate and you could tell that he was thankful for my assistance. This was a really COOL experience that I will always remember.
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice story!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is the CDC's page on what to do when finding dead animals in the water. Usually ok with 2+ ppm of chlorine and water circulation of at least 30 minutes. But they have special sections for calves, lambs and raccoons. http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swim...and-pools.html
    '91 Chicago-land Vinyl In-ground Pool: 41x16. 6' deep end / about 20,000 gallons. Hayward Perflex DE filter. Polaris Watermark G1000 Chlorinator (used by previous owner, not me). Hayward H200 Heater. Aux Pump for pressure side robot. (2) skimmers opposite of each other mid-pool, (1) bottom drain, (2) returns on opposite ends of pool lengthwise.

12. Back To Top    #12

Smoke lawn I like the link, Before you do any of the following you must dress up like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack when he found the Baby Ruth..... Drained the Pool

Follow these steps to remove the animal and disinfect the water:

Close the pool to swimmers.
    Put on disposable gloves.
    Use a net or bucket to remove the dead animal from the pool.
    Double bag the animal in plastic garbage bags.
    Clean off any debris or dirt from the item used to remove the dead animal.
    Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags.
    Close the garbage bags and place them in a sealed trash can to help keep wild animals away from the dead animal.
    Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately.
    Raise the free chlorine concentration to, or maintain it at, 2 parts per million (ppm); maintain the pH levels at 7.5 or less; keep the temperature at 77F (25C) or higher. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for 30 minutes.
    Confirm that the filtration system is operating properly during this time.
    Disinfect the item used to remove the dead animal by immersing it in the pool during the 30 minute disinfection time.
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

13. Back To Top    #13

A Red Belly Water snake that was playing hide & seek in my return eyeball. And the remains of a very pesky raccoon (I'm pretty sure that is what it was) that had gotten under the winter cover. Not much was left of it.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

14. Back To Top    #14

Lmao at the kids comment.

Grossest thing "stuff" for me so far had to be worm poop. And I'm talking lots of worm poop. Little buggars are loaded in the pecan trees surrounding the pool and with any wind their poop is in the pool and every morning there's a large pile on the bottom in the center of the pool.

I use a skimmer sock so when vacuuming it collects all that nastiness from entering the filter. It's usually about a tennis ball size of poo after vacuuming.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

15. Back To Top    #15

I usually find a couple mice a year in my pool. Not sure how they get in when the cover is closed unless they are living in the area where the cover roles up and squeeze in from underneath.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

I've posted this before, and I SWEAR it is not photo shopped. Large mole and a big honking spider

Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

17. Back To Top    #17

I would have needed a new liner because of the bullet holes from attempting to shoot that spider with a rifle.
    21' Above Ground DoughBoy Pool

18. Back To Top    #18

It is a Wolf spider, and I get them regularly in my skimmer. This was the biggest one that I have seen. When they have babies, there are 100s of little babies riding on their back.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

19. Back To Top    #19

This thread freaked me the heck out. I am thanking my lucky stars that I live in Maine. I get little beetles in my pool....that's about it. Oh, and the occasional dead bumble bee. If I got ANY of those things in my pool, I would not own a pool. In fact, If I lived any place that those creatures even existed, I would move away. CREEEEPY! haha
    27' round (18,000 gal) above-ground, vinyl-lined, metal surround, with a deck around half. Hayward "Pro-Series" sand filter. Taylor 2006 test kit.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mimipell521 View Post
    This thread freaked me the heck out. I am thanking my lucky stars that I live in Maine. I get little beetles in my pool....that's about it. Oh, and the occasional dead bumble bee. If I got ANY of those things in my pool, I would not own a pool. In fact, If I lived any place that those creatures even existed, I would move away. CREEEEPY! haha
    I'm with Mimi... Only I'm in Texas. Therefore it's my husband's job forever forward to clean the skimmer baskets. I'm just grateful half these pictures didn't show up for me and I didn't have to see something I couldn't unsee! Lol

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast