Help with DE filter

Jul 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I finally got around to cleaning my DE filter grids this past weekend, and had a couple of questions. One: the little strainer at the top of the manifold is pushed in and appeared full of DE. What is the purpose of that device? Second: when I started the pump after reassembly, I got air through the returns for a minute or so which appeared to be air in the filter being pushed out. Is that normal / safe? Third: I have a little DE in my pool which is consistent with every time I have charged my pool. It ultimately clears up in a few weeks, but is that a sign of a problem serious problem? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a newbe but have a de filter...

I think the pipe with the screen on top of the manifold is like a bleader. (to get the air out) i do get some de on start up after cleaning. With the nets and all out the water has a clear path to the return jets, and i would think is to be expected. When you are scooping out the bottom of the tank its impossible to not get any thing in the return pipe.

On the air i get some. But try to fill the pump basket, and skimmer plumbing the best you can. You should also have a air bleader on top of the filter with the gague. If not you should pull the gage on start up till water shoots up. Turn the pump off then put the gauge back. I think bleading the filter is verry important because the pump systom will hold a prime even if your filter has air, and if the filter has air you are not using all of the filter. If the filter is completely bleed of air then you are getting the most out of it.

If de dose not persist after start up i think you are fine.

Agan from a newb. Hopfuly some one with more experience has some insight for you.

I am a newbe but have a de filter...

I think the pipe with the screen on top of the manifold is like a bleader. (to get the air out) i do get some de on start up after cleaning. With the nets and all out the water has a clear path to the return jets, and i would think is to be expected. When you are scooping out the bottom of the tank its impossible to not get any thing in the return pipe.

On the air i get some. But try to fill the pump basket, and skimmer plumbing the best you can. You should also have a air bleader on top of the filter with the gague. If not you should pull the gage on start up till water shoots up. Turn the pump off then put the gauge back. I think bleading the filter is verry important because the pump systom will hold a prime even if your filter has air, and if the filter has air you are not using all of the filter. If the filter is completely bleed of air then you are getting the most out of it.

If de dose not persist after start up i think you are fine.

Agan from a newb. Hopfuly some one with more experience has some insight for you.

Thank you for the input! I learned a bunch of things from your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.