Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with DE filter

I finally got around to cleaning my DE filter grids this past weekend, and had a couple of questions. One: the little strainer at the top of the manifold is pushed in and appeared full of DE. What is the purpose of that device? Second: when I started the pump after reassembly, I got air through the returns for a minute or so which appeared to be air in the filter being pushed out. Is that normal / safe? Third: I have a little DE in my pool which is consistent with every time I have charged my pool. It ultimately clears up in a few weeks, but is that a sign of a problem serious problem? Thanks in advance!

25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with DE filter

I am a newbe but have a de filter...

I think the pipe with the screen on top of the manifold is like a bleader. (to get the air out) i do get some de on start up after cleaning. With the nets and all out the water has a clear path to the return jets, and i would think is to be expected. When you are scooping out the bottom of the tank its impossible to not get any thing in the return pipe.

On the air i get some. But try to fill the pump basket, and skimmer plumbing the best you can. You should also have a air bleader on top of the filter with the gague. If not you should pull the gage on start up till water shoots up. Turn the pump off then put the gauge back. I think bleading the filter is verry important because the pump systom will hold a prime even if your filter has air, and if the filter has air you are not using all of the filter. If the filter is completely bleed of air then you are getting the most out of it.

If de dose not persist after start up i think you are fine.

Agan from a newb. Hopfuly some one with more experience has some insight for you.
    18x36 rectangle built early 90's, 9ft well, "black onyx" vinyl liner, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2 returns, 1 skim, 1 drain/return, plumbed chloranter, 48sf de filter, multi port valve, and 1.5hp jandy pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know much about DE filters but here are a couple of articles from Pool School that might help.
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmverrill View Post
    I am a newbe but have a de filter...

I think the pipe with the screen on top of the manifold is like a bleader. (to get the air out) i do get some de on start up after cleaning. With the nets and all out the water has a clear path to the return jets, and i would think is to be expected. When you are scooping out the bottom of the tank its impossible to not get any thing in the return pipe.

On the air i get some. But try to fill the pump basket, and skimmer plumbing the best you can. You should also have a air bleader on top of the filter with the gague. If not you should pull the gage on start up till water shoots up. Turn the pump off then put the gauge back. I think bleading the filter is verry important because the pump systom will hold a prime even if your filter has air, and if the filter has air you are not using all of the filter. If the filter is completely bleed of air then you are getting the most out of it.

If de dose not persist after start up i think you are fine.

Agan from a newb. Hopfuly some one with more experience has some insight for you.
    Thank you for the input! I learned a bunch of things from your reply.

25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter